Contingent Buildings Insurance

I have today received a report from my solicitor about a flat I am buying, asking me whether I would like him to request a contingent buildings insurance policy from the seller (the flat is one of two flats in a converted building, and under the terms of each lease, each lessee is required to insure their part of the building - we have seen copies of the current insurance policies for both flats).

I've no idea what contingent buildings insurance is intended to cover and I wonder whether this is something I really need, or whether there is another reason for him suggesting it (commission? covering his own back?) Before I speak to him, could anyone explain what such a policy would cover?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
alongney

Something here might help

Stuart

The contingent policy would cover the possibility that the other flat fails to insure their part. Insuring half a building is not a very good idea. Having an interest in a property that depends on other people doing things they may well neglect is not a good idea.

Reply to
DJC