Container security locks

Has anyone good experience of an effective locking system for shipping containers? I'm contemplating storing quite a bit in some shipping containers over the transition of a house move, and these seem to be the ones mainly used:

it looks to me that theres not much to stop someone with an angle grinder just cutting through it. I'm going to need 6 of them and at £80 a pop it gets expensive

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

At my work, if a container needs to be secured better than a normal padlock on the handle, then we have the welder add a padeye on the door which closes above another pad-eye on the other door. These are drilled so that a padlock can go through both. However, there is also a box of plate steel welded to one door which covers the padeyes, which is open only at the bottom ( and a slot to allow the other door padeye to enter ). The padlock is accessible only up through the bottom of this guard box. The box permits hand access to the bottom of the padlock, but prevents access to the padlock hoopy bit with a set of boltcutters or angle grinder.

Of course, with an angle grinder you could ( eventually ) grind the protective box off, but it does add a level of security.

This is a rather home-made measure, and requires access to welding equipment.

I could do a drawing if it's clearer...

Reply to
Ron Lowe

The container we rented for similar reasons had a lock welded onto it which looked pretty solid. Obviously this was a container which had been retired from shipping, to be just used for storage.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Of course someone could angle grind through it, but thats going to take considerable time and make a lot of noise/sparks - assuming there is a handy power point or they have a cordless grinder.

Are they in a remote location or something?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I can recommend the Abus hasp & staples - and the corresponding padlocks:

can be bolted (bolt heads completely enclosed when locked) or welded into place.

The overall cost of lock and hasp/staple would be similar to the locks you were looking at.

Reply to
dom

As an aside, when we have had to send fully-kitted workshop conatiners and data logging computer cabins to remote wellsite locations overland ( by truck, with overnight stops in every place you don't want to stop ), we have in the past had to weld the things firmly shut to avoid them arriving at the wellsite totally stripped.

The container doors had steel plate strips welded across them. The computer cabins had plate welded over the windows. The cabin doors had plate strips welded over them.

It took the rig welder half a day to gas-axe them open.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

message

shipping

which closes

access to the

Ron,

Thanks for that - yes lock boxes are commercially available (£146!!!)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Where are you getting the containers from?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

message

(£146!!!)

Clive,

I've had a quote from

which includes a guaranteed buy back at a fixed price within the next 5 years, which seems better than most are offering - still not cheap though. With vat and delivery it'll work out just shy of £1200 per container, with a £600 buy back if I don't keep them

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

And how long will you be using them for?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

message

which

Rather depends on circumstances - I will have a house to re-furbish, and a barn to make waterproof. As soon as the barn is tight, the containers will be less of an issue, but as they will be tucked away on a bit of land out of sight of the house I may explore the possibility of renting them out where they are for storage. So possibly only 6 months or maybe for ever !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

For 6 months may be worth renting, esp if it comes with all the locking stuff already there for you. Would need to check with suppliers. (I think it came to about a tenner a week though - and they seem to do random trade-style pricing, so you could well get a better price for 6 and being nice to them :-) )

Will a buy back apply if you've hacked it around to fit a lock? Is the buy back 600 quid less delivery back to the base?

For ever, obviously worth buying. But do you want the hassle of renting them out?

(FWIW I reckon the contents of our house would go into 2 containers. If you consider one of them is the size of a normal removal lorry, this makes sense. Oh - and I'm talking about 20-foot ones)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

message

re-furbish,

locking

renting them

Clive, my main 'contents' are 26 tons of engineering workshop - lathe, milling machines, surface & cylindrical grinders, foundry equipment, currently occupying 1100 sq foot of home (hobby) workshop - and tight packed that accounts for 4 20 foot containers. I want them in the containers for as short a period as possible as contents of containers tend to sweat and hence rust, so want to get the barn serviceable asap. Can't do anything though until contracts are exchanged! The house contents are fairly minimal despite it being a 7 bedroom 4,300 sq foot edifice.

The buyback comes with free collection, the supplier is offering lock boxes but at quite a price. Renting out they seem to command £25 per week each or £7K8 pa fully let

AWEM

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It was just a thought :-)

I'm pretty sure mine was around the tenner a week mark + delivery/collection, not so long ago. Mine came from what was Royal Wolf (Leeds branch), who were merely the second people I got from a web search. Of course they may be more expensive under their new flasher branding, or in your area, but might be worth a look?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

So really you're looking for storage of a workshop with a house attached rather than a house with a workshop attached?

I really wish I had a bit more workshop space than my 10' x 6' shed and the back bedroom of around the same area (but full of 'well-you-know' stuff that might (will probably) (well, possibly!) be useful one day.)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

If you live near a large port or know of a nearby container depot you might be able to buy a few quite cheaply. At any rate the chances of you getting the best hire rate for what you want would be there.

Good luck.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

equipment,

containers

4,300

Yes it's true Frank, and indeed in house searching it was a case of looking for a potential workshop with a house nearby And haven't you yet come to realise that those vital parts that you keep become essential just after you've taken them to the tip having kept them for

20 years

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

If you are prepared to look at badly battered ones and maybe those in need of some patching/welding you can get them for a lot less than those advertised here:

750 quid I'd expect them to be liveable.

More here:

if you bought them, you could weld them (cut away walls or use some sort of connecting idea) into much larger units.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer