Consumer unit trips at odd times for no apparent reason

We've recently had our old fusebox replaced with a consumer unit, which I find has a bit of a glass jaw when it comes to tripping.

So, about three times a week, it decides to cut off the power. The unit seems to be split into two - the top row has the big red master switch, and a bunch of switches concerned with lighting. The bottom row has switches relating to sockets, and to the left a "sub-master" switch.

It's this "sub-master" switch which decides to flip itself into the "off" position. Last night it happened sometime between 0315, when nature called, and 0805, when I woke half an hour late for a meeting.

This happens irregularly, and with no rhyme or reason. There's nothing coming on at that time on a timer, so far as I am aware.

How can I best set about isolating the problem? I'll probably need to get the sparks back to fix it, but it would be nice to be able to tell him what actually was going wrong.

Thanks

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips

This 'sub master' is presumably an RCD? Try:

Lobster

If it seems truly "random" and happens at any time of the day or night, and you can't attribute it to either an electric iron, or a washing machine (the two most likely culprits) it may well be your fridge freezer that's the problem. The transient suppressor(s) on the compressor may have gone and be causing your RCD to trip.

Reply to
Rumble

Or in our case recently a mouse which had got into the consumer unit from the cavity wall, been electrocuted and was offering just enough "load" between the live and earth to trip the unit about once a week. Eventually the smell gave it away! Now clearing that up was a fun job!

Reply to
Calvin