consumer unit location

Hi,
Done some searching on this newsgroup but was unable to find what I was looking for, didn't want to ask a question that has been asked before!
I need to move our CU to a new location in the kitchen as I'm putting in a new kitchen. At the moment it's in an upper cupboard, it can't stay there as there'll be a cooker hood there soon. Is there any rule about where it can be in the kitchen?
I'd like to put in a corner unit under the worktop - are there any problems with this that anyone can think of from a saftey point of view, mainly thinking about water.
Thanks Mark
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:02:00 -0000, "Mark"

anywhere. Just make sure you have sufficient access to it for those emergency requirements! An emergency light is always a good idea when fitting a CU in a cupboard. ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Thanks, that was what I was hoping for, makes life so much easier.
Mark

However, there could be a problem. It is not usually allowed to have the meter tails more than 2 metres long, as the supplier doesn't like protecting part of your installation with their service fuse. If you need to have longer tails than this you need to install a switchfuse unit next to the meter with a suitable fuse (i.e. 60A or 100A, whatever your supply is rated for). A fuse is better than an MCB for this, as you don't really want it to blow before the circuit MCBs get a chance.
Christian.
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:57:44 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

usually go on about 3m or just over. If you're going over this distance I would usually use a MEM 800KMF, (ask at your local wholesaler), with a 80A fuse on 25mm tails. ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
That's where I'm lucky - moving the CU to where I want to makes it closer to the metre than it is at the moment - have to move the tails but that shouldn't be too hard.
Thanks for all the replies Mark

Ask for a chair to sit on as they tell you the price
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:22:50 -0000, "Chris Oates" <none> wrote:

aren't really. The reason I choose the MEM is the size, especially when siting them in meter cupboards. ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch wrote on Monday (16/02/2004) :

They will usually refuse to connect meter tails of excessive length, or if they tails are badly routed such as they might suffer damage.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)