Consumer Fuse Query

Page 2 of 2

If you look at it carefully, you'll see that the black from the top of the white earth terminal is actually appearing as green/yellow cable from the left hand side at the back of the wooden board, so I would take it the black is only insulating tape wrapped around the green/yellow cable.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Try as I might- can't get the link to work :(((
*wants to see*
Tim..

If you're getting to the page OK, just wait a while and the pictures appear eventually.

I remember seeing one place where the elctrickery looked like it was circa WW1. Yes, WW One. There was an iron box on the wall which opened (no lock or anything, it was just hanging open) to reveal 2 bare fuse wires screwed in place at each end, no carrier, no insulation etc. And as far as I could see, fuse-wise, that was yer lot mate.
Regards, NT

Believe it or not, I was in an old property on the outskirts of Edinburgh just last week, and it had the same set up you have just described in there. Took a while to find a point to tapp off for the alarm system spur because it still has cloth covered paper insulated cables inside rusty conduit. I didn't think there was still places that had this old style installation anymore. Wonderful what we had to work with in those days eh ?

Yeah. Its strange how these little time warps manage to still exist. I remember a cinema that had been equipped in 1942, and one section of it hadn't changed any since. It was like time travel. It was equipped with arc lights, no less. One of the staff had even spotted some of the equipment they were still using in a museum :)
Attaching anything to installs like these is a danger in itself. Move the wires half an inch and up they could go. I dont think I'd try to tap off any of the existing circuits, and I wouldn't install anything that needed an earth.
It was one thing installing paper wire and so on in 1908 when it was in sound condition, but to have such a setup still operating 95 years later, after all the deterioration that time brings, is another. I've seen the odd dated installation that would have been condemned even in 1930, yet is still in use today.
Cloth/rubber flexes that had fallen apart and become bare to touch have always been a no-no, and periodic inspection of early electrical kit was always strongly advised. Yet there are houses around today that don't take even those most basic precautions. There is the occasional place where its a wonder they get the lights to come on, let alone survive the process.
Regards, NT