Conservitaries and regulations

Been hearing rumors that conservitaries will be under building control in

2006 .

I there any truth to the rumors ?

Thanks

Reply to
none

The message from "none" contains these words:

Depending on circumstances, they have been for ages. Do you mean /all/ conservatories?

Reply to
Guy King

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 08:57:42 +0100, none wrote (in article ):

Try a phone call to Mr Prescott, it's his department.

Ooops.... it's not any more.

Do you live at Dorneywood at all?

Ah. that doesn't concern him either.

Hopefully at least you are gainfully employed.......

This rumour has been going around for ages. The main angle was in connection with energy conservation rather than safety. There is little evidence of conservatories falling down and killing people, but of course one can employ dozens of statistics officers to calculate that conservatories under building control always rather than some exemptions could theoretically prevent 0.00000001 degree global temperature rise.

Conservatories below a certain size are exempt currently and this represents the vast majority. It's difficult to see what could be done in terms of building control that hasn't been already that would make an energy saving or any other difference.

They are what they are.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

There are complications though. A conservatory has to have a translucent roof if you want to keep BC from your door. And not be connected to the rest of the house by other than an exterior grade double-glazed draughtproofed door and windows. You can't put up a conservatory with a tiled roof[1] and knock out the doors and windows, 'cos that's an extension[2].

[1] Unless you can find translucent tiles, of course. [2] The woman from the planning dept. who came to visit my conservatory proposal said "This is an extension, isn't it?" I sort of prevaricated a bit and she said it didn't matter as long as I jumped through all the hoops and didn't knock out the doors and windows to the house and as long as it had a translucent roof. Quite how translucent it has to be, I don't know.
Reply to
Guy King