Conservatory vent motor controller

Anybody know of a supplier for the remote control units for motorised roof vents on a conservatory? Current unit is an Ultraframe and to be honest even before it stopped working altogether it was pants and only worked if and when it felt like it. Normally worked to open the vents and then refused to work again to close the vents when a thunderstorm started. So I'd rather not replace it with an Ultraframe unit if there are alternatives.

Reply to
Tony Hogarty

That's strange.

I have one and it works perfectly, both for the temperature operation and also the external rain detector.

I did do a small modification, mainly for convenience, which was to fit a centre off three position miniature toggle switch in the connection from the rain sensor.

THe effect of this is to override the rain sensor if I wish to do so.

- one position connects the sensor through normally and the vents close when it rains, open when it dries.

- second position open circuits and effectively disconnects the rain sensor. Thus the controller thinks that it's dry outside even if it isn't. This is used occasionally if there is a light rain but I want the vents open a little bit for ventilation.

- third position shorts the rains sensor connection. This has the effect of telling the controller that it's raining and effectively locks the vent down.

I would go to Ultraframe and tell them that you want a replacement because your one has never worked properly and has now broken. You may have simply had a dud. I've had mine for over three years and it has been fine. I'd ask for a free replacement but expect to negotiate up to a few tens of pounds for a replacement.

THe unit is not technically complex inside - jusr some fairly basic electronics and relays. It would be pretty easy for somebody able to do electronics projects to fix it or make one.

I have never found an equivalent elsewhere though

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The people who are (probably) going to supply my conservatory offer them as an extra cost option (£240 per vent, IIRC). Surprisingly, the guy selling me the conservatory was almost reluctant to sell them - he said, with some credibility, that they can be intrusive if they keep opening and closing all the time while you're sitting in there, which I would imagine, in certain kinds of weather, they might.

Brian

Reply to
bigbria

They don't. There is quite a lot of hysteresis on the temperature control. On the rain sensor, you have to wait for the drops to run off it. This happens a few minutes after it stops raining.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I use a 100DM controller from Vent Engineering, see

(but don't expect much help from the website). No problems so far.

Reply to
John Beauchamp

Andy, Out of interest, what do they use for the rain sensor?

Is it simply two electrodes that are bridged by rain water?

Do the stay clean enough in use? Resistant to bird shit?

Enquiring minds just need to know!

Tia

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Most of the sensors used work through the dielectric properties of glass or plastic so that is senses moisture through the material rather than being soaked in it and having to be allowed to dry out after it rained.

Do a web search for the phrase "Dielectric" and see what you find.

Reply to
BigWallop

You know the idea of flexible printed wiring? What it appears to be is essentially this bonded to a small ABS box. THe pattern is of two combs with interleaving fingers facing one another. There is then a flexible lead going inside at a convenient point.

Basically one drop of water on it and the resistance drops. The electronics (and I haven't drawn out a detailed circuit) seem to be some Schmitt triggers and latching logic plus an op-amp for the temperature sensor. There is also a pair of override buttons on the controller. IIRC, and I haven't looked for a while, there is a four wire connection to the motor unit with two lives, neutral and earth. THere are microswitch travel limiters in the motor unit.

Basically if the vent is open all the way, the microswitch at that end of the travel interrupts the opening connection to the motor, but the microswitch to allow power to close the vent is closed. The controller closes a relay and the motor drives to the close position and the microswitch cuts the power. Across the middle range of travel, the motor can be driven either way.

Seems to be. I've cleaned it once in 3 years and only because I was up some steps doing something else.

It really has been trouble free. If anything I would have expected sensor trouble, but no, it's been fine.

There's nothing hi-tech in it at all.

that do you?