Conservatory UnderFloor Heating

I'm about to build a conservatory and thought about using wet UFH. I can make it a seperate heating zone with it's own programmble thermostat quite easily.

Any advise on installation, suppliers and things to consider?

Many thanks,

Alan.

Reply to
AlanD

AlanD coughed up some electrons that declared:

As UFH is slow to react and conservatories are quite lossy (even if you go to town on decent glass and floor insulation) you might want to run the UFH as a background heat source (say to 16C?...) and use an air blower (which can be fed from a radiator circuit) as an instant top up.

Other than that, lots of floor insulation (obviously) and insulate the slab by a horizontal break from the dwarf walls (if any) or from the bit of the slab that supports the glass.

Have you done a basic heat loss calculation? I'm not a religious greeny; if you want heat it all year that's up to you, but it's worth knowing how much heat you will need if you do plan to...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Tim,

Thanks for the response. I've not done a heat loss calculation yet, however the conservatory will have decent 'solar' glass which should help. I'd not considered the response time of UFH too much (was focused more on hidden heating!) but as I wasn't planning to heat it all the time - more as needed - a more reactive heating method may be wise, or use both as you suggest.

Alan.

Reply to
AlanD

Yes.

Google past posts in this newsgroup.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its actually worse than that. Its almost impossible to get more than

100W/sq meter heat out of a wet UFH slab floor. With enough DG, that may not be enough to heat it anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hot air blowers coupled up to a wet circuit are the fastes way to heat things I know.

If somewhat noisy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher