Conservatory to Extension

Hi,

Looking at possibly buying a house which has a conservatory along the complete rear of the property. It currently covers the dining room patio doors and the kitchen windows. and is a slightly lower floor level.

Have been thinking that it might be better to convert/change the conservatory into a "proper" extension of the same size with a tiled roof etc in order that the kitchen could be pushed forward and it could be split into more useable rooms for daily use what ever the weather. I'm sure some would say that you can use a conservatory for every day living... but I hope you get my point.

Don't know much about planning permission, so would like to enquire where it would have been needed for the original conservatory and would I have to apply again if I want to build an extension of the same size?

Anyone have any similar experiences?

Look forward to any comments.

Thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I would be at least equally concerned about building regs.

A conservatoy or extension may well come within your permitted development for planning purposes.

A proper extension or changing the conservatory in this way will require building regs approval.

MBQ

Reply to
google

Generally planning permission is not required if the conservatory is under a certain size, permitted development on the site has not been exceeded already and it is not in a conservation area.

It is generally also exempt from Building Regulations application as long as it is again under a certain size, constructed more than 75% from glass, and that external doors/windows from the house are not removed. These factors are all to do with energy saving - i.e. should not be worse than the original house.

If you look on your local authority web site, you should find pointers and information regarding dimensions etc.

As soon as you go for a tiled roof, open it from the inside and effectively make it "permanent", you will need both planning and building regulation applications.

Reply to
Andy Hall

As I understand the regulations 50% of walls must be glazed and translucent roof

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

No.

A conservatory is an extension to a building which:

a) has not less than three quarters of its roof and not less than one half of its external wall area made from translucent material and

b) is thermally separated from the dwelling by walls, windows and doors with the same U-value and draught stripping provisions as provided elsewhere in the dwelling

(Part 1B Approved Document to Building Regulations April 2006)

In effect, it is the roof construction that defines the limitation. One might make large picture windows or doors in an extension but probably not a glass roof.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks for your replies. It appears that I will definately need to talk to my local planning office re my thoughts as I really want a seamless extension to the house rather than a conservatory.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

You still don't get it. You need to talk to *building control*.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I had a conservatory built about 3 years ago. I have knocked out the kitchen window and wall and spread the kitchen into the conservatory. According to the above this is not allowed. What are the consequences? Never had Building Control involved? Baz

Reply to
Baz

Theoretically, you could find it hard to sell, especially since the sellers packs will be compulsory next year. In practice. Well, I've even seen TV make-over shows do this. SImon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Horribly high heating bills, and the house falling down if you didn't do the knocking-through correctly with a lintel.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Knocked thro by taking the window out and the bit of wall below, lintel was already there. My heating bills have been less since the conservatory has been fitted. Wet UFH installed in conservatory. Baz

Reply to
Baz

Is that not the same as 50% glazed walls and translucent roof

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

No. It's 75% translucent roof. Not the same as 100% translucent roof.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Some other people wrote, but as usual the attributions were badly munged:

What on earth does that mean? My welding goggles are translucent. Aluminium frames could be said to be opaque. Glass is nearly transparent.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Another piece of badly drafted work of civil servants.

They mean 75% by area, not opacity of course.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It can be allowed if you offset energy loss of having a large glazed area elsewhere in the building. Installing cavity wall insulation and topping your loft insulation up might be enough.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle