Conservatory Info

The New Year's project is to build a conservatory on the back of the house. Entrance will be via patio door from lounge and back garden. Approx size 3m x 4m Georgian style with dwarf wall. Can someone point me in the direction to research the info about the build and help identify a decent supplier? This should keep me busy over the Xmas period whilst everyone else is watching the TV.
Many thanks
Happy Xmas/Holidays
Robert
Robert wrote:

http://www.balticpine.co.uk seems alright. I have a neighbour who is very happy with one.
--
Toby.

You may or may not need planning permission, depending on whether it comes within any remaining "permitted development" allowance. Best to clarify with the planning department at your local council.
Similarly, it may fall within the scope of building regs depending on the exact design. It probably won't as long as it has a glass (or clear plastic) roof and as long as you keep a lockable "outside" door between it and the rest of the house - but check with the Building Control Dept to be on the safe side. [If it doesn't meet the strict criteria for a conservatory, it will be regarded as an extension to the house - and will then have to meet all the building regs relating to energy efficiency - so you don't want to go down that road!]
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Many thanks to you all for your replies. I am in the Cambridge area. I am looking for UPVC. We do not have a Wickes in the area, they seem to do various DIY conservatories. Any other sites that I could look at or obtain from in this area? Any How to do books on the subject?
Many thanks again
Robert
wrote:

house.
3m
direction
supplier?

am
obtain
Try Wickes in Bedford - your side, and easy to get to. Bought a hardwood conservatory there about 4 years ago and am very happy with it, they have many designs including uPVC. Be careful you don't buy without their usual 40% to half price offers, as around now they have two weeks when they sell them at full price, so they are able to make the claims about pricing. Delivery was good and the manual was very informative.
Be careful about the planning side, as we assumed that we did not need permission as it was the only extension to the house and below the square metreage permitted. However, because we have a detached garage (built with the house) this was deemed to use up our "free" square metres and we had to apply for permission.
John St Neots
Try here. http://www.conservatoryinfo.co.uk/index.html WM

house.
3m