Conservatory in Timber

I need some advice please.
I'm going to have a timber framed conservatory. It will be about 12 foot square. Fairly straight forward, apex roof, horizontal box gutters.
I've done the footing. Will get a bricklayer to do the dwarf wall.
I invited a conservatory company to quote for a hardwood frame and the double glazed units, supplied and fitted. I got the line about how it would be cheaper to get it done at this time of year etc. Back comes the quote for 18,000. Ouch!
The quote did come with a basic drawing, plan and elevation.
I took this down to my local joinery firm. They asked me if I wanted storm or flush opening windows. I went for storm. Hardwood or softwood? Quote me for both I said.
Softwood 2500 Hardwood 4500. Exactly the same section size of timber. This is looking remarkably cheaper than 18000.
They said they don't do the opening roof lights. A local glass company said they would be about 500 each, wind-open and bronze finish aluminium. Shan't be having too many of them I thought!
So here are my raft of questions:
1. I intend to paint it whether it is hard or softwood. Is hardwood really worth nearly twice as much?
2. Where can I get roof vents from at a reasonable price?
3. How are timber conservatories finished along the ridge, presumably some sort of metal capping, and a supplier?
4. Any tips?
Thank you
mark b

Extra question: Stormproof openings or flush. I was told that stormproof would work out slightly cheaper. Any opinions on the merits of each?
mark b

of
cheaper
said
http://www.conservatoryland.com/contactus.htm

Also try www.balticpine.co.uk.
Christian.

Two people in my office have had these and been reasonably pleased.

SNIP
I guess you have a really odd shape but most conservatories are made up of modular panels bolted together, 18K seems way too high.
Pop down to your local wickes, they may have something suitable which I guess would be around 2-4k incl windows & roof
they have a few pics at www.wickes.co.uk, then showroom, conservatories
Jon
Mark B wrote in message ...

If you're painting, you might as well have plastic windows. I don't like them in old buildings but in a new structure they look "right" somehow. If it's going to be unheated, any timber will be vulnerable to condensation. I was asked to "renovate" a 20 year old conservatory recently and I could push a bradawl right through most of the 4" timber. Anywhere where glass met wood I could have removed with bare hands, and it was all said to be pressure impregnated with preservative etc etc. Interestingly, the rot was worse on the inside.

I would guess lead flashing. This one had some kind of foil, which of course had failed.

Only to make sure any painting, guttering etc above the conservatory is done before it goes up because you'll probably never be able to get to it again without scaffolding.

Why don't you post their address on here so we can spam them with unsavoury comments. They obvioiusly didn't want the work. I hope the bastards rot in hell when the markets cool down again.
You could have bought an house here in Stoke on Trent a few years ago. Its caught on with people from the Midlands now though.

Because he knows where I live! Also he gave me some ideas and a drawing to take the Joiners so it wasn't a waste of time having him round.
mark b