Conservatory Electrics Part P

Dear All,

Recently had a conservatory built and the electrical work has been done. I have not received a certificate relating to Part P and the supplier is now telling me I won't receive one as the work is exempt.

Looking on the web the only conclusion I can draw is the work is not exempt as a new supply from the house consumer unit has been supplied and also as the conservatory has electric underfloor heating.

The installer has run a new feed from the house consumer unit to a new consumer unit in the garage. From this is fed the 4 double sockets (one circuit), two wall lights, overhead light and electric roof vent (one circuit), underfloor heating (one circuit via a contacter as the load is 4KW)

Can anyone please confirm or deny that I need a Part P certificate? I have not signed the satisfaction form for the finance company to release the money to the installers yet, so the ball is still definately in my court to get this sorted!

A prompt reply would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Matthew Harman

Reply to
matthewh

Whilst about 4 months behind you in the "conservatory" stakes, and viewing this with a Scottish perspective, I'd say that you do need Part P. Just my guess.

Mungo

Reply to
mungoh

Phone up the building control department of your local council and ask them.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On 2 Jun 2005 00:11:38 -0700, "matthewh" strung together this:

The works mentioned are within the scope of Part P. As you say, a new circuit is within the scope and there's several of those.

Reply to
Lurch

Matthew

Look at the ODPM web site or search for "Approved Document P". When you find it you will see that there is negative reference there (pages

8 & 9) which shows:

Table 1 Work that need not be notified to building control bodies. In the table you will see that they use the terminology "work that is not in a special location" or "work that is not a special installation". Therefore table 1 contents generally list the not notifiable stuff.

However the exceptions to table 1 lead to Table 2 Special Locations and Installation and Installations

This clearly covers your situation with "Electric floor or ceiling heating systems" being special installations. This is definitely notifiable. The implication from table 1 also is that additional circuits translates into notifiable works. This has certainly been my experience in the last month! I have been doing fairly extensive mods to power and lighting in an existing extension, but as there have been no additional circuits, no special installations (eg under floor heating) and the extension isn't a kitchen, shower room or other special location, the building control guy has agreed that inspection and witnessed testing is not necessary.

HTH

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

And while you're at it mention the company who did the work - sometimes opens a "oh them again, is it" sort of conversation :-)

Reply to
Mike

PS What is frustrating, particularly anyone not already exposed to dealing with British Standards etc, is that the interpretation of this regulation is down to the individual inspector. So, responses from the BCO to slightly vague regulations should be treated as job specific. Another inspector from the same department may well give a different answer to the same question! For the work I am currently progressing, any agreed decisions have been repeated back in writing for the record!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster