Conservatory Cavity Wall Insulation

My new conservatory has a 2m high cavity wall but unfortunately no insulation bats were used when it was erected. What are my options for cavity insulation? At this stage the window boards are not fixed so the cavity is open all the way round.

Can I get some form of loose fill insulation & do it myself or do I now have to go for the pumped stuff?

Reply to
Steve House

Is the conservatory floor false and well clear of the ground, and with a damp proof course in the walls ? If so you may be able to insert slightly compressed Rockwool slabs down to just above the DPC level without too much difficulty.

Reply to
G&M

You can push glass fibre insulation batts down into the cavity from above.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Mon, 3 May 2004 20:54:53 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "G&M" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

How do you get them past the wall ties?

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

On Mon, 03 May 2004 23:21:26 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Andy Hall randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

See my answer to "G&M" above.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

On Mon, 3 May 2004 20:43:21 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "Steve House" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I would forget about cavity insulation and go with an insulated plasterboard.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

I'd do both. You can drill and inject loose insulation with great success. Well worth it. Then dry line with the usual suspects.

You need all the insulation you can get to compensate for the dreadful glazing losses

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In strips from above, manipulating them sideways underneath the ties.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:01:29 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Andy Hall randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

You've been listening to IMM a bit too much, methinks ;-)

This is assuming that the ties are all vertically aligned and that there are no snots in the cavity. To move down through the cavity without snagging, the batts would have to be significantly narrower than the cavity, in which case the batts should be secured against the inner leaf with clips. This raises the question, how do you get them onto the wall ties?

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

I never do that, Hugo.

In the one that I did, there were no snots (I made sure of it) and the wall was not that high anyway.

I made a sandwich of art card and fibre batt to slide into the cavity, then when position was right, slid out the cards. The batts spring into place. Fiddly, but it works.