Conservatories: pros and cons

I'm thinking of buying a house which has a UPVC conservatory. I've never lived in a house with a conservatory before. But my perception of conservatories is that they are:

  • Boiling hot in summer
  • Full of condensation in winter; need loads of heating

What are the "real world" experiences of people on this NG who have a UPVC conservatory? For instance, could I comfortably sit in the conservatory on a winters evening without feeling chilly?

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps

Not if you ventilate and shade them.

If you use double glazed units, then you won't get condensation as long as there is reasonable trickle ventilation and you are not pouring in a lot of water vapour from the kitchen. Ours connects to the kitchen and there is never a condensation problem.

We used low emissivity glass and units filled with Argon which improves insulation further.

When it snows, the snow tends to hang around on the roof for a long time - can be days.

Definitely. I do, with seldom more than 2kW of heating in a 25sqm conservatory.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

My calculations show that my conservatory should be eminently heatable in winter. It has double glazed walls and ceiling. I haven't actually ordered the heating yet, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In message , Andy Hall writes

We're just in the stages of ordering our conservatory. We've decided on

2 manual vents in the roof, but they've quoted us 350 quid each :-o This is against a fairly cheap quote of 8k for all the rest of the work (includes demolition of existing s**te extension and french doors in the lounge). Anybody know if this is a reasonable figure (the roof vents, not the overall quote)? Had a google and found that the vents themselves are about 100 quid each, but obviously they need fitting and I'm not sure how involved that is. However even with a generous markup it seems pricey.
Reply to
mike. buckley

"bruce phipps" wrote | I'm thinking of buying a house which has a UPVC conservatory. | I've never lived in a house with a conservatory before. But my | perception of conservatories is that they are: | * Boiling hot in summer | * Full of condensation in winter; need loads of heating | What are the "real world" experiences of people on this NG who | have a UPVC conservatory?

Somewhere to keep the coal or hang the washing when it's raining outside.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In article , Christian McArdle writes

Ours has polycarbonate roof & dg walls and is heated adequately by a 2KW electric convector heater even on very cold days.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

The overall quote is quite cheap, but the vents, in proportion are expensive. I would try beating them up on the price and get them down to £200 each. That would be reasonable.

Don't be tempted to omit them though.

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from bruce snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (bruce phipps) contains these words:

Much depends which direction they face. One on a southfacing wall will likely be very hot in full summer sun and plant foliage will fry.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

No that's the bath.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

We've just had a conservatory built and when I asked the saleswoman about roof vents she advised us against them. All our window units open though so that provides enough ventilation to cool it down. With all the windows and doors shut I've had temperature build up to 46 degrees C in the afternoon.

Reply to
anthony.j.cunningham

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

We will only be able to open 50%ish of our windows. One side of the conservatory has to be a brick wall as it butts right against the side of our property, and we don't really want a view of a scabby old garden fence 2 inches from the windows. At 350 quid each we'll probably pass though, spend the extra on fans....

Reply to
mike. buckley

"Andy Hall" wrote | "Owain" wrote: | >| What are the "real world" experiences of people on this NG who | >| have a UPVC conservatory? | >Somewhere to keep the coal or hang the washing when it's raining | >outside. | No that's the bath.....

No, the bath's where mum kept her pet alligator when she wasn't doing her erotic dancing with an alligator act.

Owain

Reply to
Owain