Connectors in lighting back boxes

Hi all, Does any one know what the regs are regarding using connectors in lighting back boxes. Where there are wall lights or outside light or even downlighters then instead of using junction boxes, I have been taking a live, neutral and earth to a light switch. From the light switch to the fitting, switch the live, join the neutrals in a connector strip, obviously connect earths together on back box lug. To me far easier than using junction boxes which should always be accessible, difficult in flat roofed ground floor extensions. Any views?

Regards

Legin

Reply to
legin

You'd probably be better off using a two-pole switch.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

People don't tend to use junction boxes much now anyway, and tend to make all the connections in the ceiling rose, or behind the light switch. The regs don't specify circuit layout at this level, other than that connections should be accessible, or if not, crimped, soldered, or brazed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Absolutely fine. To anyone contemplating this for the first time, it's worth using a deeper than normal box to give plenty of room. A one gang socket type, ie 35mm deep, makes for plenty room regardless of the type of switch used.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)