Connections to shower valve

In the schluter thread, I mentioned a leaking shower valve. There were in fact two leaks; one from a fault in the valve itself, and a larger one where the connection to the valve had failed. I have a new valve on the way to remedy the first problem, but when I install it I want to make damn sure that the connections aren't going to fail again.

All four connections to the valve are 3/4" parallel BSP. There's no appreciable inner face to seal against. None of the outer faces are machined smooth, although the two outlets are in fact relatively flat. The inlet ports are decidedly not flat, with a roughly shaped groove around them that's broken by a slot and ridge - not really a good sealing surface.

When I put it in the first time, I tried various kinds of seals. I ended up with polythene washers on three of the ports, and an O ring (which I'd tried earlier, based on the groove) on the hot inlet (it seemed to be working, so I didn't replace it with another polythene washer). However, I don't really want to fit the new valve like this, as I have very little confidence in it.

I used 3/4" parallel male fittings before. Would I be better off this time using taper fittings with PTFE?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Just a lot of ptfe on the threads you have, so that the fittings are stiff to wind in, until they bottom.

Reply to
RubberBiker

Tried that first time round, before the various washers. Couldn't get it to seal.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

We used to manufacture brass and gunmetal fittings for a large very well known manufacturer of plumbing fittings before the work went offshore.All female BSP threads up to 3" were parallel but were gauged with a taper gauge.In other words they were to be fitted with BSPT fittings.There is so little material in these fittings now that they stretch to fit a taper thread.

Reply to
mark

Pete Verdon wibbled on Tuesday 06 October 2009 14:24

On a smaller thread (1/4" IIRC) with the same problems, I used gas PTFE (thicker) - and I needed 8 wraps to get it nice and stiff. Seals at 7.5 bar though :)

What about something like Rocol Threadseal XS

looks pretty permanant...

Reply to
Tim W

"Pete Verdon" wrote in message news:haf8bg$5ep$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

Taper is the way to go Pete (As Mark said). As BS21.

3 or 4 Twists of tape. Job Done!.. Baz
Reply to
Baz