connecting steel pipe to pvc

I have a steel pipe (1/2in) threaded that I need to cut, and connect to Hep or copper.

Due to the location the pipe cannot be threaded? is there a compression fitting that can connect to unthreaded copper (I have googled and found a "dresser coupling" mentioned - however noone seems to sell one!). Or alternativly, is there a suitable John Guest fitting for pushfit?

Reply to
Bob

Consider more than one fitting..I have had to do things like this and what normally happens is that you can get something to fit the old pipe that adapts to something else, and the something else can have an adapter to the new pipe.

It is not clear from your description whether the steel pipe, once cut, will be threaded or not, and whether its an internal or an external thread.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

more than one fitting..I have had to do things like this and

The simple answer is no. 1/2" Steel pipe can only be connected to with a thread - say a male or female iron to copper conn made from brass.

leighhales

Philmac do a universal transition coupler as also do Plasson, both available from Drain centre.

Should be able to get the Philmac part from Plumb Centre.

You need to measure the outside diameter of the iron pipe that you want to join to in order to get the correct size joiner.

You will also need to purchase an adaptor adaptor of the appropriate size of copper/hep that you want to join to.

Have a look at these links

http://
]

Reply to
Chas

What pressure is it under? 1/2" steel pipe is approx 22mm OD and a 22mm compression fitting will go onto it with a lot of cranking up - perhaps better with a 3/4" olive - and maybe araldite as jointing compound :-). It's a bodge, no warranty, on your own head be it etc but may get you out of a hole.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Or carefully SOLDER the olive to the pipe before tightening up?

If your OD is right tho, no reason not to use a 22mm solder connector on the pipe. Steel - unless its high chrome content - solders well enough if cleaned and fluxed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Currently is external threaded on the fittings, but need to cut the pipe - thus it will not be threaded.

Reply to
Bob

Ah.

Well of course that either means that you are bugggered..... vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Or that you are going to have to be creative..

And put a thread *on*, or solder something to it, or trust that a compression fitting will stay on. And not leak.

I have to say that I am very dubious about a compression fitting.

I suppose its in an awkward location? Certainly the pro solution would be to get a die and re-cut a thread.

Myself, being a lover of blowlamps and solder, I would have a go on the cutoff piece off pipe to see if it could be soldered. I have had plenty of success soldering mild steel if its well cleaned and an aggressive plumbers flux is used..and lead/tin solder helps to. Lead free may be asking too much..you might for example be able to get a piece of copper pipe inside it, and with enough flux and heat end feed solder into the joint enough for a seal.

Compression? These tend to rely on the olive distorting the pipe to maintain a sound connection: I am afraid that steel is hard enough that this wont happen, and it might well be possible to slide the thing off even when really torqued up tight.

As I said, you might be able to solder the olive on and then use a standard fitting..

Best would certainly be to recut a thread with a suitable die..IF you have enough room to swing the tommy bar.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher