Connecting PSUs in parallel

Just to add my ten p's worth, I once connected two 10amp power supplies together and expected to get 10amps, I switched them on and immediately blew one up and it was not even loaded! These were sophisticated supplies and this can happen if there are two monitoring circuits trying to correct each other so be warned (it did make quite a large bang). I assume that most PSU's are of the "Switching" variety and would both be trying to regulate each other.

Reply to
Peter Hemmings

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 23:18:02 +0100, Peter Hemmings mused:

Even without the 2 monitoring circuits they can still destroy each other. How long will depend on how closely matched the PSU's are.

Reply to
Lurch

Hi

It's a fair point but I've just checked two ATX ones here and they both have 0V connected to the chassis... I guess you can't rely on it being one way or the other.

Steve

Reply to
stevelup