Connecting DVD Player

Component will also often be the only connection available that will support progressive scan on a fair bit of kit - so is handy for projector use.

Reply to
John Rumm

Most sets have. For game consoles as well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know that - but there's no reason RGB couldn't support progressive scan.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Funny but my new tv has hdmi, scart, vga, component, composite, ethernet, usb but no svideo (not even on a scart).

Reply to
dennis

I suppose its the same problem as using non standard refresh rates on SCART etc. It could be done, but you would risk damaging kit that was not expecting it. Perhaps they assume that component connections are new enough that the designers ought to be aware the the possibility of a non standard signal there.

Reply to
John Rumm

They're only really 'new' in the UK. But still doesn't explain their choice. After all computer analogue monitors are RGB fed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not via a scart though... (and I have seen a few of those killed with improper refresh rates)

Reply to
John Rumm

I doubt the SCART itself was worried about refresh rates. ;-)

But I was just curious about the principle behind using a component signal for this use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)