Connecting bidet to soil pipe?

I have a WC where the waste runs from it to the left at 90 degress, using a standard right angled pan connector.

I have to install a bidet to the right of the WC and seek opinions as to whether I can change the pan connector for one of those that has a 32mm waste on the corner, and then just feed the bidet waste into that (with a horizontal length of 32mm pipe).

My concern is that waste from the WC obviously would not be welcome flowing down the 32mm waste to the bidet, which will be sited only a foot or two away.

What do you think? Would the trap on the bidet prevent any problems? Or is it likely that the 32mm could become blocked with something nasty?

Thanks for all help. Rob

Reply to
Kalico

Are you sure you've seen a 90deg pan connector with 32mm union on it, or was it a 90deg socket with an access cap. Even if you have found a wc elbow with a 32mm connection I don't think I'd risk it. You won't get enough fall and the 32mm pipe will be too short to guarantee success. I think you'll need to take the waste from the bidet and run it separately back to the stack, joining it to the stack below the wc branch. Both of these runs will join the stack from the same direction, so you won't need to worry about cross flow problems.

Billp

Reply to
BillP

Amused to note on the DIY-SOS? in France that bidets are apparently no longer fashionable there and the ex-pat brits got a new one cheap that a native, who'd bought a complete suite, didn't want. Maybe its because proper bathrooms are more common in France. I always thought although the French seemed keen on washing their naughty bits, they weren't on doing it to the rest of them.... :-)

Reply to
BillR

Yep, I am sure you can get them, since I bought one. It is by McAlpine (Part number WC-CON8V) and from Plumbcentre.

It has a 32mm pipe boss on it although I now notice it is supplied with a right angled connector, which would indicate that entry should ideally be from above. If that were so, the problems I outlined previously are less likely to occur.

However, I doubt that the waste from the bidet will come away high enough to then drop down into this 90 deg connector, which would, of course, be at the level of the pan outlet.

Either way, I have convinced the customer to have both bidet and replacement WC fitted at the same time, so I can try out and see which seems best. It would have just saved a lot of 32mm pipe, which the fussy cutomer hates to have visible, and which cannot be dropped sub-floor.

Thanks very much for your thoughts Bill.

Rob

Reply to
Kalico

Don't take this as correct without checking it out, but I seem to recall that they can be filled with dry sand. Would likely require jet washing and pumping out to remove sludge.

Reply to
pedro

Before replying to a 17 year old post through a broken website read this first.

Fredxx

Indeed. But just for reference, a bidet does not really need to be connected to a hot water supply. If it is so connected then the bidet hot water should emphatically not be the first outlet on a pipe from a hot water tank which the thermostat keeps simmering at about 85deg C.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

To calibrate your meaning of "need", have you used a bidet in January in England with just a cold water feed from the main or a loft tank? And I don't used to wash your feet - let alone to emulate the faithful disciple in Tropic of Cancer.

Reply to
Robin

To be honest I've only ever used them in those fancy places where they speak foreign and everybody who lives there knows how to use them. The

85 deg hot tap was in an AirB'n'b in one of those places.

I misremembered that scene as a washbasin. But perhaps I didn't know what a bidet was back in 1968?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Perhaps better that explanation than that in 1968 you were accustomed to two fat turds being dropped in a washbasin :)

Reply to
Robin

The one who crapped in it and was surprised that it didn't go down.

Reply to
Max Demian