Connecting an gas hob/electric oven cooker

The gas has been connected. The electrical connection needs to be a double pole switch the feed cable needs to be H05RR-F section 3x1,1.5mm squared. It is the electrical connection that I need to have explained to me. Is it ok to connect to the 13amp circuit using a switched spur. and is there anything that I need to do. Thanks for your time.

Reply to
TWEEZER

If it was, it would have probably come with a lead with a 13A plug on the end. What's the electrical power rating of the unit?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It says on the label 12KW. 873G/H 230V- 50H 3370W Cheers.

Reply to
TWEEZER

My cooker has it's own 6mm cable from the consumer unit via a large switch!

Reply to
Rob Farrell

12KW at 230V would need ~52A.

Perhaps you should tells us the make & model of the oven...

Reply to
Si

Let's assume the 12kW is the gas and the 3370W is the electricity.

That's too much for a 13A plug or spur. It was probably designed for a 16A plug used in some other EU countries.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Its a Delonghi DFS 903 freestanding range cooker

Reply to
TWEEZER

Probably not. If it it were a relatively lightly loaded ring circuit in the first place (which kitchen ones almost never are!) then you could just squeeze in with a connection to it allowing for diversity (which reduces to maximum 14.6A load to a typical maximum of under 12A)

My preference would be a dedicated radial with a 16A MCB at the consumer unit (non RCD side if it is a split load one). Cable choice would depend on the length of the run, any other local factors, and what capability for expansion you want to leave for the future.

Connection to the cooker end should be done via a cooker face plate switch, and cable outlet.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 05:25:54 +0100, John Rumm mused:

I'd use a 20A double pole switch, tidier and easier to wire.

Reply to
Lurch

Can you apply diversity though, it's one oven which will be full load (or no load), not a collection of rings which exhibit diversity?

Yup.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The thermostatic control will give you a time averaged reduction in maximum current, so I expect you can[1]. Connection should be via a method that allows for the maximum current however, so a 13A FCU is out. Treating it as an unfused spur (i.e. with the cable sized to as to be adequately fault protected by the circuit MCB, and the over current limit imposed by the appliance spec) may be acceptable.

(although as I said, I would not recommend doing this in the first place, and the chances that there is sufficient spare capacity on the circuit to allow for a big point load like this is probably nil anyway)

[1] [311-01-01] does not have much to say on it, and the OSG (table 1B) just refers to a "Household cooking appliance" without further clarification as to whether an appliance which uses electricity for just the oven should be excluded.
Reply to
John Rumm

The 12kW likely refers to the total of the gas burners.

Then current rating is 3370/230 = 14.7A so can't quite go on a 13A plug.

This needs a dedicated circuit with a 15A or 16A MCB. A double pole isolator (20A and 45A) within 2m of the oven.

Without checking I would expect 2.5mm² T&E to be suitable for the fixed wiring.

Reply to
Ed Sirett