Connecting a hob extractor

I'm re-wiring the kitchen as part of a major re-furb (started before Jan) and am unsure about how hob extractors are usually wired. I'm going to provide a FCU but should this be positioned so that it's inside the "chimney"? - if not, where? Also, I'd always understood that it was only permissible to run a single spur from a socket on a ring but an electrician today told me it was OK to connect up to 2 single sockets or FCUs - is he right?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

He was right until 1970-something. Two single sockets used to be permitted, but the danger is that someone will look at the middle socket on the spur (with a cable in and a cable out) and think it's part of the ring and try and spur off a spur.

You can of course run as many sockets as you like downstream of a FCU (fused spur) as the max load is then limited to 13A by the FCU.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I just put mine inside the wall-mounted cupboard adjacent to the extractor; mounted top right at the back, out of the way. Easy to get at to change the fuse or switch off (mine was a switched FCU).

TBH I doubt it's a good idea to bury connected cables, FCUs etc within the chimney of an extractor unit, if that's what you mean (I'm guessing it's made of s/steel, and that the extractor is double-insulated, ie no earth - right?)

David

Reply to
Lobster