confusion with technical drawings 1:50

In response to my planning application my local borough council has asked for elevation drawings of my house. They have specified drawn elevations at a scale of 1:50. At first glance this to me calculates that

20mm on a page represents 1 meter in the real world. The back of my house measures 4.9m high by 6.1m wide, which on paper would translate to a rectangle 98mm high by 122mm wide. This is quite small as a diagram and I can't help feeling I've got it wrong. Have I?
Reply to
tg

You are correct. Draw them at a larger scale, shrink them on a photocopier, submit both.

Reply to
dom

No, that's fine. An elevation for an 'ordinary' house (not a 2-Jags mansion!) should fit comfortably onto an A4 sheet.

I've just submitted an application with elevations drawn at 1:100 (on a CAD system) which are perfectly readable and hopefully(!) acceptable. [I've just re-looked at my council's guidance notes, and they don't specify a scale for elevations - though they do for everything else].

Remember - they'll also be looking at plans for a new Tescos - or even Wembley Stadium. Think how big they'd be at 1:20 or whatever!

Reply to
Roger Mills

You have got it exactly correct. However having worked for a short time as a planning enforcement officer my experience is that if at all possible i.e. its not to far away, call into your local planning office and ask to speak to a person with responsibility for your particular area ( most offices are split into several geographical areas). This way you know with some degree of certainty you have at least submitted the forms correctly which is half the battle. I would also suggest you tell the planner how wonderfull they are, it usually works!. Cheers Taylerlee

Reply to
taylerlee