Confused and need help on drywall v plastering

You can get a perfectly acceptable finish - it's not as smooth as a skim finish, and doesn't feel as nice to the touch (feels like painted paper!), but visually it's fine.

My preference is for skimmed, but I've done both in different situations.

If you're wallpapering, then I'd say skimming is a waste of time and money - you will never know the difference.

Reply to
Grunff

Until you come to strip off the wallpaper only to find that you need to replace the plasterboards because holes have been dug through them trying to seperate paper from paper.

Reply to
Phil L

Hmm, you may have a point there - but would gentle steaming not do the job? I say gentle because you just want to dissolve the glue, not ruin the plasterboard paper. I haven't tried it - just a thought.

Reply to
Grunff

hundred lafarge a month for about 3 years and it doesn't say f*ck all.

Reply to
Phil L

The recommendation from the manufacturers is to use a drywall primer before papering. Then, allegedly, this is not a problem.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The first thing we had to do when renovating houses was strip all ceilings and walls, I suppose it's OK *if* you know, if you don't and wet everything

3 times with a sprayer before lifting a scraper as we had to, things get a bit messy :-p given that both sheets of paper have lifted and bubbled
Reply to
Phil L

Ah, ok, didn't know there was such a product - is it PVA based?

Reply to
Grunff

Probably. More than likely it's just dilute Unibond.

e.g.

Andy Hall

dioxide, e.g.

Grunff

No one has commented about mine. I'm a stickler for perfection, and if finished propery with a slurry coat of finish, or painted with drywall topcoat, you'd be pushed to tell the difference from a skimmed wall. by the time it is painted.

Reply to
<me9

Unibond and white emulsion, then.... :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

If finished properly with Drywall Topcoat, the removal of the wallpaper shouldn't affect the plasterboard base.

Reply to
<me9

It's more like dilute emulsion with added plaster. A slurry coat of joint finish followed by the normal priming with dilute emulsion and an emulsion top coat is just about as effective.

Reply to
<me9

I'm not suprised...plasterboard cant talk. :-P

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Ah, but have you never heard the expression that walls have ears?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Most people don't talk through their ears.

There are anagrammatic possibilities, however.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They most certainly do, I found one in my sausages.

Reply to
Phil L