Confused about BSP threads

Parallel with Loctite 577.

Reply to
Badger

Hi All

My hot water cylinder has 1" BSP parallel female threads.

Should I use 1" BSP male parallel thread with a washer or 1" BSP taper male (with 22mm compression on other end)?

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

1" parallel with lots of tape.
Reply to
Grunff

And an O ring ... and silicone ... and anything else to help seal the b***** thing.

Reply to
G&M

Grunff wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

Any experience of the Albion Albitech connector; looks good to me (but what do I know?)

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Use 1" cylinder connectors specifically made for the job.

Reply to
IMM

That's if you want to do it the cowboy way of course.

Reply to
IMM

A bit on the expensive side, but good.

Reply to
IMM

Nonsense!! This is cowboying it.

Reply to
IMM

More cowboy suggestions.

Reply to
IMM

Erm, which is a 1" parallel male BSP, as several of us have said. You know, to fit the 1" parallel female BSP?

Reply to
Grunff

It is a parallel BSP Female "nut" with a taper union tail, specifically designed for connection to cylinder. Look at BES.

I despair at times. And they actually think they do know what they are on about.

Reply to
IMM

I don't like using PTFE tape on these as a bit of a turn the wrong way when manipulating the compression end of the fitting can disturb the threaded connection enough to make it leak. (It'll be the cylinder bottom connection that this happens on, so you've got to drain the whole &%$£*() thing down to re-do it, of course :-). I always use hemp and boss white which seals pretty well immediately and stiffens up to lock the joint better over time.

Of course real DIYers grow their own hemp :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

A real professionals don't do what you do and use proper cylinder connectors.

Reply to
IMM

They are clueless IMM, thick as two short planks

Reply to
nomatter

IMM, I don't undersdtand how what you are suggesting differs from a straight connector like BES part number 9012 22 mm x 1" BSP male parallel

Can you give me the part number of the bit you are suggesting I use?

NB

Reply to
Nick Brooks

6795 - straight
Reply to
IMM

6795 is an EQUAL ELBOW 8MM BS 864-2 EF
Reply to
Nick Brooks

Also 9180 has a "BSP Union Nut" please explain how this attaches to my FEMALE thread

Reply to
Nick Brooks

If female then a 1" MBSP x 22mm connector. The male BSP side will be a taper thread. Unless the cylidner maker specificaly states that it must be a MBSP parrallel thread, then use that, and use hemp and paste to do the joint.

Cylinders are best with MBSP threads, then cylinder unions can be used.

Reply to
IMM