Confession Time

Whilst cutting some mdf and in a bit of a hurry I managed to cut right through my workmate. Both of the pieces of ply are now cut through at about 80% depth. I was using a brand new circular saw (B&Q, =A325) and I didn't even feel any increased resistance! So not much use for standing on anymore. Not too bad as I should be able to get hold of some hefty ply to knock up some replacements, but inconvenient to say the least.

Just made we wonder whether anyone else felt the need to confess their c*ck ups!

Reply to
deckertim

My workmate certainly has a few marks after ~25 years. I carefully made sure the cut overhung the edge when using a circular saw. However, I lifted the sheet off, and found I'd cut about 50% through one of the crank handles.

I've got a kitchen chair and a stool, which were temporaily being used as a workmate before workmates existed, and they both have small saw cuts in them.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I hope you got him straight to A&E...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

One of the guys I used to work with told me how he spoiled two 3 metre worktops while installing his kitchen. He lost the template for the sink, so decided to draw around the outside of the sink to cut the hole!

When he realised the mistake, he got another worktop and decided to draw around the piece he'd cut out of the other worktop so as not to make the same mistake again. I kid you not!

His third mistake was telling me! LOL

Ian

Reply to
Ian

What would have been ironic would have been cutting something like the legs off an expensive chair from Heal's and wrecking the workmate. (you have to know the history of the birth of the workmate for this to make sense!)

Reply to
Matt

After installing a new heating system, a number of floorboards in the airing cupboard required replacing it was late on a sunday night, I was tired and had spent the week puting this system in, but this was the last bit of work to be done, so I wanted to finish it.

I cut some new ones to size, laid them on the joists to check fit and then marked the postion of the water pipes on top of them. I took them back out to clear debris from the floor void.

I replaced them and started to screw them down carefully avoiding the marked lines of the pipework beneath. I heard screams from below that water was gushing through the ceiling.

I then realised that I had put the floorboards back in the wrong bloody order.

dg

Reply to
dg

Just made we wonder whether anyone else felt the need to confess their c*ck ups!

Whilst fitting a 13 amp spur, housewife with power off wittering about using elec kettle for cup of tea with me about 15 minutes away from finishing job. In the end the noise in my ears got so loud that I just parted the end of the cable, which was already connected at the supply end, restored the supply and let her use the kettle. After she'd made her tea I went back to shorten the cable and forgot to re-isolate it! Those earth leakage breakers are marvellous! I received no shock, the flash was minimal and my sidecutters received a miniscule amount of arc damage.

Then there was the time I relit the gas boiler without purging it properly first - and lost the kitchen window.

That's all for now, my soul feels totally unburdened. :^)

Reply to
Tamburlaine

:)

Reply to
marvelus

Just made we wonder whether anyone else felt the need to confess their c*ck ups!

We've all made them it! More than once I've cut timber too short due to not being careful. Now believe and practice "Measure twice - cut once".

Regards, Eddie

Reply to
Eddie G0EHV

Not me... (I keep 'em quiet...)

FWIW Black and Decker have an excellent after-sales service... they were once able to provide me with new handles for a 30-year-old workmate (obe of the originals) and did so FOC!

David

Reply to
Lobster

The message from "Eddie G0EHV" contains these words:

Ah, I remember first my grandad, then my dad teaching me that. And now my son knows it.

And, it helps. The other day it helped me cut a bit of cedar to exactly the right length. Such a shame it was the wrong bit of cedar, the remaining bit being too short to replace the bit I'd amputated.

Reply to
Guy King

Or as my time served cabinet maker father used to say, keep your wood as long as you can, as long as you can.

Dave

Reply to
gort

Hi Tim

I have a largish offcut of 18mm ply left over from a job, you are welcome to whatever you need. I also have a cheque for the Ramada gig you covered for me. Pop round Sunday.

I never make them :-)

(waits for lightning strike).

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I always think you're not a seasoned DIY-er until you've had water gushing through the ceiling!

Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

Worryingly, I've done all the things that others have mentioned on this thread so far: Cut through workmate - yes Water through ceiling - yes Not isolated electrics - yes (when I was 14 - and I got entry and exit burns to prove it!) Holes too big in a wortop - yes.

Perhaps I should give up on DIY before I kill myself!

Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

Expensive. They're about 40 quid to replace.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Tournifreak" contains these words:

Have you tried stripping a live mains cable with your teeth? If not, I heartily suggest you avoid it.

Reply to
Guy King

Depends on the model,but yes 40GBP is minium.

However a trip to the lumber yard will get you the same wood and thickness for a small amount of money. All you have to do is cut it to size and glue a piece of laminate flooring on top of the two peices. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I've done the same thing,however I usually cut wood going along the full gap between the jaws,but the depth of cut was not set resulting in me cutting through one side of the steel arms below the jaws. :-(

Just as well I can weld.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Looked about in the loft for somewhere to cut the loft boards I was putting in, decided that the open hatch was ideal to put the boards on while cutting them with the jigsaw....

While sawing a car up with my new electric saw managed to just about cut though the sill and axle stand underneath it.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.