Conditioned behaviour

I had a few minor electrical jobs to do around the house - replace a light switch, a new light fitting in the kitchen and investigate why an eyeball fitting wasn't working. I know my house wiring and I know that the circuit breakers really do work on the circuits they should. About half way through the jobs I realised that, despite the circuits being off, I had carefully, but quite unconsciously, been avoiding touching anything metal with my bare hands. I hadn't quite got around to standing on switchgear matting, as I always did when working on three phase (very useful once, when I discovered a circuit I had pulled the fuses on had a second connection to the mains).

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I do that quite consciously even if I know the circuit is off. Just in case.

As I cut through a live cable t'other week causing pretty fireworks overhead, I think caution is always advisable.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

If I'm working on anything electrical, I find my brain seems to interpret any unexpected scratch or jab as being an electric shock and I react violently, jumping away exactly as if the part had been live and I had been shocked.

The power has always been off, touch wood; it takes half a second to realise that there was no electricity involved.

Reply to
Onetap

You should try keeping bees !!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I did, briefly. I became allergic and was advised to stop. I was stung between the eyes and my face swelled up like a melon until my eyes were slits. It was almost enjoyable walking into A&E and being immediately directed to the front of the very long queue!

Reply to
Onetap

Better safe than unable to be sorry I say. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So, did you know the circuit was switched off? :)

Reply to
Lobster

I fitted three 13A sockets without rubber gloves and without incident, unconsciously avoiding touching any metal. When I went to turn the power back on I found I'd not turned it off. Nowadays I always neon or meter test and wear rubber gloves even though I 'know' the power is off.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I knew the circuit I thought I was cutting into was off.

Anyway, I was only cutting into it to try to fix it after I'd scraped it with the plasterboard saw.

I thought the wiring in this place was in conduit. Obviously the stuff above the ceilings isn't.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Without thinking about it, my wife automatically avoids using the handrails on staircases in places she's not used to (despite her having a balance problem). This is because she spent years working in North Manchester visiting psychiatric patients in high-rises and it was not unusual to find junkies had concealed their used needles to stick any strangers using the handrails.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

You cannot beat starting up a circular saw behind someone and running a screwdriver down their back at the same time.

Reply to
ARW

+1.

I still find myself putting my left hand in my pocket before touching some electrics. Which tells you where I come from!

Reply to
newshound

Bastard! LOL.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Me too!, and its years since I worked on HV stuff;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

It works. But I am sure that you will now try it out for yourself.

Don't be too gentle with the screwdriver:-).

Reply to
ARW