Condensing Boilers & Fuel Prices

One of the chief difficulties in statistics is separating out two effects which (as it happens) seem to be linked. As time goes on it may become clear there was no such link. A certain amount of common sense is needed here.

1) If the demand for a commodity falls (due to installing condensing boilers) then it's price is likely to fall. 2) Energy prices are subject to global market forces. 3) As "Dubya" would say there is a trouble in "Iraqistan".
Reply to
Ed Sirett

In message , Ed Sirett writes

Gas was traditionally priced to compete with *gas oil*. I am 20 years out of date and don't know the current system.

How many of us have rushed to take up BGs offer to fix the price?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Not really. It's a similar correlation to saying that global warming is in some way related to the activities of mankind.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, no, that's the MO for Drivel.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Probably about the same number that have 3* service contracts and believe it's a wonderful deal or who buy lottery tickets.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Also I don't think that CORGI particularly see it as their remit to police energy saving, or that there is no incentive so to do. There is plenty to do with their main activities of trying to identify cowboys and dangerous work.

Possibly building control organisations should be doing this. Again the trouble is that there are bigger fish to fry.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Historically, due to a captive market and no gas export facilities, the natural gas price was effectively *lower* in the UK than in world markets right up until the point the first pipeline was built to continental Europe. From that point (October 1998) the lower production costs in the UK and the wider market opportunities available in Europe meant the gas was usually exported like mad to make huge profits regardless of any future UK requirements.

It took about 7 years of relentless exporting to get in the sorry state the UK is in right now, with a sensible energy policy we could still have had some sensible reserves left. Given that a large percentage of electricity generation is gas fired, the shit will be hitting the (stationary) fan sometime soon.

amusing reading for those well prepared :-)

Reply to
Matt

Do keep up at the back, that has been happening for YEARS.

Reply to
Matt

Agreed, although the underlying trend will always be upwards as oil/gas gets scarcer the recent big hike in prices is unsustainable as the oil/gas is not (yet) truly three times more expensive to come by than it was a year or two ago. So the fixed price deal looks like it taps into peoples fears that there will be no end to gas price increases yet in reality the price of gas is likely to come down (from the current very high level) in the medium term. BG are offering to hold prices high for you until when? (2010?).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In order to self-certify Part L compliance you need C&G 6083 (?) the energy efficiency exam pass. This means doing things with TRVs and proper full controls and condensing boilers. So you potentially invoke the wrath of the inspector if you sign-off systems that don't comply. So in that respect they are indirectly concerned with energy saving.

However I welcome the change if they are going to go after the 80% of non-notifiers.

As for BC doing this stuff they are probably as enthused and as well prepared for inspecting Part L compliance as they are about Part Pee.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

More combi boilers and fuel prices rising so of course there is a correlation.

Using similar reasoning, the increasing number of speed cameras has led us all to drive more slowly and use less fuel and therefore push up the price of fuel.

You need to learn more about statistics (hint: correlation is not the same as causation).

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Hint condensing is not the same as combi.

:-)

Reply to
Matt

No, the constant deceleration and acceleration at every traffic calming measure has increased fuel consumption.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But fewer children are killed or mamed.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No, the price of gas has gone up because I've finally put gch into my house. I haven't yet put a condensing boiler in, but no doubt the prices will go up again when I do (:->).

I'll give it about 12 years or so of price rises before we'll all be ripping out central heating and putting coal fires back in.

Egremont.

Reply to
Egremont