Condensing boiler (continued) - Told I cannot have as Cast iron Waste pipe - plot thickens!

I doubt whether we will build half this number. And most will be additional houses, so no matter how energy efficient they are total energy usage will go up. And of course there is a lot of embodied energy in building materials.

Improving the existing housing stock is a nice idea, but ISTM that gains in some places are being cancelled out by other changes, for example power showers that use twice as much hot water as older ones did, this fashion for having numerous 50W spot bulbs everywhere instead of a single 60W or 100W bulb, and very probably the more widespread adoption of domestic aircon.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

It need tightening up. The heating of conservatories also wastes energy, so maybe proper built extensions and no conservatories, which may mean updating the minimum spec of homes. It all makes sense and is easy to do. The air-tight test is due next year, which will make matters better. All the government has to do is legislate, and the builders build to that level, costing the taxpayer nothing at all. The minimum threshold of energy usage on appliances should be raised as well as times have moved on since they set it.

Town planning so less car usage, etc, In 10 years it all can make a hell of a difference.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In article , Dave Smithz writes

Dave

If you install a condensing boiler in your flat the sun will have gone supernova in X squillion years time before the condensate from your condensing boiler will rot your cast iron waste pipe. You can expend vast amounts of time and money trying to comply with that wanker Prescotts brainless crap legislation or you can just go ahead and install the f**king thing.

Reply to
Jerry

So the new way of assessing council tax should look at energy efficiency of each home. I'd rather pay on that basis than whether or not I have a nice view (I do so I'm alright jack ;-) since it's something everyone can do something about.

The only way we'll improve energy efficiency in this country is through legislation and penalties for those who are not prepared to do their bit.

And yes, aircraft fuel should be subject to tax, just like road and rail transport.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Up to a point... loft insulation is easy, draught-proofing slightly less so, insulating under floors not very easy, and what does one do about 9" thick solid walls?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If you're Dribble you recommend cladding them with some ugly board.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

External insulation and rendering or cladding. Looks brill.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

has

The likes of you should be locked up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yes but you could "enhance" it by painting it red and then painting in the "mortar" in white. A skilful artist can make a convincing job of this and it saves on the pointing.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Another great suggestion from uk.d-i-y!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Paint on some attractive climbing plant as well and save on pruning too.

A cunning arrangement of hydraulics on a timer can move all the flower heads simultaneously to follow the sun throughout the day for added realism.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Imagine my surprise when I pruned these and got a squirt of hydraulic oil in my eye !

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , Doctor Drivel writes

...........trimmed for brevity................

Why's that then - please let us be party to the thought processes if any that resulted in that cryptic statement.

Reply to
Jerry

Go to the people that matter and get yourself incarcerated.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In article , Doctor Drivel writes

What sort off answer is that? I can only assume from your response that you don't have any valid justification for your original statement. I would suggest that you remove your fingers from the keyboard and insert them in your nostrils where they might at least find some limited usefulness.

Reply to
Jerry