Condenser Dryer Problem - where's the water going

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone can help. I've got a White Knight condenser tumble dryer. The water normally collects in a removable plastic tank which needs emptying after a few uses. However, the water is now no longer being collected in this tank, the dryer still heats up and the clothes get dried (eventually!) but I am curious as to what might be wrong. Also, I'm assuming that the water normally collected in the tank is simply evaporating into the atmosphere. Any ideas? Thanks,

JD

Reply to
jd

Depending on what you are drying you'd sure as hell know if it was evaporating into the environment as you'd find your kitchen/lounge/utility room/whatever [delete as appropriate] bathed in steam - have you ever opened the door about 20 mins in while drying say - jeans? The cloud of wataer vapour that comes out looks like a dry ice effect - stunning!

If yours is anything like ours (and Bosch and WHite Night seem to have a lot in common conondenser wise - someone suggested the bosch ones were made by white knght?) there's a pipe at the back that you can pop off to connect a drain hose - check that hasn't come adrift.

Failing that - the only other reason I can find for this is that the bottom corner where the condensate gets pumped up into the drawer could be clogged with crap. Have you taken the condenser unit out, cleaned that through thoroughly, cleaned the air path from the drum down to the condenser ad hoovered that thru - then - stick yer arm into the back behind the condenser drain channel - it goes *right to the back* of the unit. There you'll probably find untold crap collected around the back and in the base. If you feel around you'll probably find something grim and matted and invariable blue/brown and quite fowl smelling in the corner - it's a case of get out as much as you can!

As a rule I do this once a month and have never had a blockage.

You could do this more easily and effecively if you too the top and the two side panels off - as you could get totally inside then - but that's a bit of an arse as if Bosch and White Knight are the same - they use a pig awful slot-cum-star head screw that's put in with a threadlock solution - so takes quite a bit of effort - but quite easy to do if you have 20 mins and are patient.

When you do get inside there'll be a lot of fluff caught in places you never imagined it could get - out with the hoover if you are going this far - and - even consider taking the drive belt plate off he back if it has one - it gets all sorts of cack in there too.

Have fun! Let us know how you get on....if that doesn't solve it - then I'd suggest runnning it out in open space and seeing where the water is going.......I reckon what I've suggested should help work things out tho :)

[condenser user for - errm - 8 years - and ours gets a real thrasing work wise!]

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Had same problem with mine when I dismantled it - where the outlet socket is on the back there is a small plastic tub inside with 3 hoses going to it, most likely one of these has come off. Check underneath the dryer, you will most likely find a puddle if this is the case :)

Hellraiser..........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

With my Hotpoint the condenser needs cleaning out regularly. If not, no doubt it could lead to your problem.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Do you clean the heat exchanger regularly? If not, or you have no idea what the heat exchanger even is, then that is likely to be the issue.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I posted on here a month ago or so with the same problem with my White Knight condenser. Nobody gave me any practical suggestions but i will be trying the above so thanks guys!

With mine as soon as i plugged it in it never filled the waste bottle and my entire room was a cloud of humid moist air however a month down the line we are now getting half a bottle full of liquid at the end of a cycle. The air is still moist and Humid though so i will be trying the above suggestions tonight.

Reply to
Steve

Steve I posted pretty much the same notes a month ago - wonder why you didn't get em?

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

I’m having the same problem but my cloths are drying fine there is no puddle of water and no steam or cloudy smoke in the room it’s working as it should except the water draw is not filling up so where is the water going I’m so confused

Reply to
karl

Well that's probably to using home owners club interface to usenet which does not quote the original message and also tends to allow you to reply to very old posts. In case you do not know its merely a portal onto Usenet, a text based messaging system which predates the web on the internet and I think still has a lot to offer. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

karl brought next idea :

The water is obviously ending up in the Homeowners server, because it keeps regurgitating old posts, in this case one from 15 years ago.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

reallly? cuz i have hot point - about 3 years old and its not collecting water but clother stil get dry. scared to use it - nervous it will create a fire. any ideas?

Reply to
RB

Before answering a 15 year old post from a broken website, please read and digest this:

Fredxx

The one we had didn?t have a separate collector for water it had condensed from the drying process. The water just went into the normal sump/ waste so you never saw it. We had it 17 or 18 years and never saw any ?drier water?. It was the best washing machine we ever had.

Reply to
Brian

For a washer/drier there's no problem as the condensate can just go down the drain.

Reply to
Max Demian

Even for a stand-alone dryer, it can be no problem. Ours has a drawer to empty after each use, but pulling off the hose that feeds from the pump to the drawer allows a separate hose to be attached in its place, letting it be fed into a drain. Ours was run once, while standing in the middle of the kitchen, before fitting the hose, connecting it to a drain and placing it under the worktop.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I think the older ones blew out damp air. Certainly one of the things which attracted to the one we bought ( and I ?m going back to the 80s) was it didn?t need a vent.

Reply to
Brian