Condenser Dryer heating element problem

I have a Whirlpool condenser dryer which is "tumbling" but has no heat. I have taken the back off, and after a visual inspection noticed that the insulation to the spade connectors of a particular component (thermostat?) had melted and the connections were actualy sooted and fused, further inspection showed evidence of steam venting from the rear of the drum to these terminals.

I don't have a manual to the dryer, so let me explain what I have deduced so far. My guess is that the short cylindrical component is a thermostat, and there is another identical component in-line with the supply to what I believe to be the heating element. The heating element is seated to the rear and center of the drum and is square in appearance with a looped element being encased with 'fins'.

I have checked the continuity of the 'thermostat', and had to file the terminals and crimp on 2 new spade connectors to get the thing operational again. I have a 240V supply to the heating element. but when I disconnect the terminals to this, and put a meter on the terminals, I get no continuity.

My questions are:

Is this square 'finned' component the heating element, and is the test I perfomed 'in-situ', really conclusive (ie that the element is broken), or do I need to remove this from the dryer in order to perform an acurate test? Which brings me to my final problem, how do I remove the heating element? The access panel is not big enough to allow the element to pass through, and the housing for the element covers most of the rear of the drum and appears to be sealed, welded and screwed to the drum housing. Finaly, any advice on where I can get a replacement and how I should fit it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark H

Common problem the stats going, there are 2 types, one attached with a spring clip and the other attached with screws to the element. The ones with the clip you can purchase seperate but the screwed on ones come complete with element. If you have 240v at element and you gave it time to heat and its cold then the element has gone.What sometimes happens is the casting overheats when the stats fail and distort the element casting so that it wont come out through hole in the back, if this is the case some tin work is required as its the only way to remove it. Before you proceed check the cost of the element as I think its around £50 so you might not bother.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Thanks for the reply. Closer inspection of the element reveals that it has distorted as you've described - which explains why it won't come out. I have checked the price of a new element from 3 different sources and they all quote around £95! A new dryer from the co-op will cost me £190 so I guess I'll be scrapping this one...

Thanks again,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark H