Condensation in loft

OK,

I moved into my house about a year ago. I insulated the half of the loft in January with the orange and silver kauff insulation from B and Q, the other half of the loft was alredyinsulated with rockwool (with no orange / silver covering) and put a box up there a week ago, a week later I got the box down and it was damp.

On closer inspection I can see a bit of condensation on the roof felt at the apex. Having read a few posts on condensation etc I have noted the following which is probably contributed to this.

I have no door on my bathroom, have fitted a new mira excel shower off the new combi boiler in there, the foft hatch is just outside the door. I have no extractor in the bathroom.

There are a few holes in the ceiling where there were pipes to the water tank which is now redundant.

In the bathroom I have spotlights which have a small gap around them where they can pivot.

I have no "vapour barrier" in the loft.

In the year I have had cavity wall insulation done which goes right up to the apex of the gable ends.

There are no air bricks in the loft, but there is a good flow of air through there (I can see the cobwebs quivering in the wind) I didnt insulate into the eaves.

Obviously I want to solve the problem. HOwever I am just after some opinions as what to tackle first, some soloutions are easy (bathroom door!) some are harder (bathroom extractor) and some I'm not convinced will be a major benefit (I dont know anyone who put down a vapour barrier under their insulation)

Also does the polythene around my new insulation not act as a vapour barrier already?

I'd appreciate any ideas on what I should tacklle first / how to approach this.

Thanks.

Reply to
dp

Wait until after next week :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A couple of soffit vents would be easier to DIY. Just be sure its not asbestos board befor drilling. They may already be there and just need the insulation removing from them.

Reply to
dennis

Make sure your loft insulation is not pushd all the way in to the eaves

Samm

Reply to
Sam Farrell