Condensation and single glazing

Out in the sales (window shopping mostly) it occured to me that I have never noticed any condensation on shop windows - or even signs of ponding on the internal cills.

The few I looked at today did not have any heaters near the windows, and doors were far enough away so as not to give much air circulation to the some of the glazed areas.

It was on my mind, because I have been asked to look into designing a 'frameless' conservatory which will require large sheets of toughed glass, and by all acoounts this will have to be single glazing. So I was wondering how to deal with [any] condensation.

dg

Reply to
dg

Keep interior RH down, preferably by addressing any sources of excess RH, or using a humidistatic dehumidifier.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've got SG installed, and we do get a bit of condensation on the north side in winter..heat and ventilation is all you can do to reduce it..but also arrange for drain channels around the base.

I am surprised if you are ALLOWED to use SG..I only got away with it by using small windows and doubling up on insulation elsewhere.

If it were me, I would still double it, but not using vacuum sealed panes..just a gap and then put in silica gel. 2" of air in an almost hermetically sealed gap, with some means of drying the air in between will give a really good U factor.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher