condensate drain into sewer with lime mortar joints

Am i right in thinking that it would be a bad idea to direct the condensate drain from a boiler into the foul drain if the drain is an victorian one with pipes jointed with lime mortar?

I'm thinking the slightly acidic condesate will leach out the lime mortar.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I doubt they would use lime mortar for drains. They did have cement and did use it in building; it's just that it was a relatively more expensive material than it is today, so it wasn't used for everything.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's interesting. I had thought (mistakenly) that cement was invented later. I see that cement it was patented in 1824.

RobertL

no more acidic than a tomatoes ... I wouldn't worry about it

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Well the ancient Romans used cement, long before patents were invented.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Once mixed with other waste water its a non issue really. Much the same as you would not worry about pouring vinegar down a sink etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not PORTLAND cement.

The following is good reading and addresses all the basic differences between hydraulic and non hydraulic cements, and its worth understanding that if you want to mess with lime mortar vis a vis Portland cements.

The Natural Philosopher