Concrete Shed condensation

"I have a small outside shed which is single brick which is plastere

inside and out, with a concrete roof and floor. There is 1 window i it. It currently has my oil central heating boiler in it. I want t turn it into a small utility room for washing machine, freezer etc. but the shed suffers badly from condensation. What is the best way t treat the walls or roof etc..to reduce this

-- gallcj

Reply to
gallcj

Continuous ventilation is the only way. Something through the roof, as close to the top as possible, that will let warm moist air out, but keep the rain from getting in, is what you need I'd say. Make an air intake at low level, in the door most likely, that will let air circulate through continuously will work wonders. The boiler should be keeping the shed warm enough, but it will also be dragging damp air in with it burning. So, vent it mate.

Reply to
BigWallop

Insulate it and heat it. If you have a high efficency boiler then you can not rely on the "spare" heat from the boiler to keep the place warm and dry, and you will need to add a radiator as well. Ventilation may or may not be an issue - it depends on what sources of moisture you have in the room.

Reply to
John Rumm

Batten the inside to 50mm deep (or more), if space permits. Now, in between the outside and vapour barrier plasterboard, fit either glass fiber insulation, micafil, ... (I note that 50mm micafil will use about 50l/m^2 of wall, or about 10 quid a running meter of wall)

Don't forget the airbricks to let the insulation breath. Alternatively, source some 50mm kingspan/polystyrene and put a couple of battens on the inside, clamping it to the structure, then plasterboard to the battens. Or, if you're feeling really cheap, just roughen the surface of the polystyrene, and give several coats of thick lime based paint.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Itrts bot actually,. Insulation will works with (almost) no ventilation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or even just sealing draughts, and a dehumidifier.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hi.

Do you still get condensation when the window is open?

Some way of protecting the washing machine from frost in the winter would be useful, especially if you're going to rely on ventilation. Eg put it in a well insulated cupboard with a tube heater on a frost stat at the bottom.

If the walls are exposed to driving rain then a good quality 'siloxane' waterproofer on the outside may help.

Or if it's damp coming up through the concrete floor, a layer of thick 'DPC' polythene under the flooring or even vinyl flooring on it's own will help.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C