concrete reinforcing fibres

I'm planning on laying a concrete slab. In an attempt to stop it cracking I'm considering adding fibres to it. Now, it'll only be a couple of m3 of concrete, so I reckon I'll only need about 1kg of fibre. Anyone know where I can buy some in this quantity?

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

1kg of fibre for a couple of cubic metres of concrete? - this is a waste of time and money...unless you meant a couple of square metres of concrete (m2)?

If you did mean square metres, then you don't need fibre anyway, so long as the concrete is at least 100mm thick.

Reply to
Phil L

1kg per 5000kg, you'd want a lot more than 1kg. 1% is 50kg. Fibre greatly reduces cracking by increasing tensile strength and controlling any cracking that occurs, so if you've got easy access to it its worth using for longer life and much less cracking risk. Also means thinner crete wll work satisfactorily.

The cheapest source of fibre is probably scrap 100% synthetic clothes shredded. I dont remember what company I, it was a while ago. Since then I just made my own from junk. Its used primarily in bridge building, so perhaps search terms like nylon polypropylene fibre reinforcement bridge might work.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Just done similar, for a thin wall, search for the thread with subject: "fibre re-inforced concrete/cement followup". I used glass fibres from fibretech. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Thanks Simon, that's a very helpful response. I had been basing my requirements on the sort of cost/dosage shown here

which was about the only quantative information I found. This came out at a couple of quid for a 1 lb. bag.

Given the relative costs (and minimum order value) I think I'll just go with the low-tech solution and build it thicker ;-(

cheers Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

don'tt be a fule. If you want to stop it cracking lay rebar for big work, or chicken wire for smaller areas, and don;t mix it too wet, or let it set too fast. Plenty of water sprinkled over it for several days after it's laid will help

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I didn't get a price, but they had them by the counter at tracis perkins when I was in today.

auctions

A perfectly fine option, but dumping some fibres in is quicker, easier, cheaper, and enables thinner crete, meaning less work and cost again. So I dont see owt foolish about it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222