concrete on flagstones

Some idiot in the past decided to lay something over some old flagstones in my house. Unfortunately he put some concrete down on which to place it.
Do you think there's any way of removing it and leaving a reasonable surface behind? I've tried chiselling it off and it 'sort of' works but it's hard not to chip the underlying surface.
I'm willing to do the work necessary but wondering the best way of going about it.
I've put a couple of pix at http://www.dthorpe.net/concrete / ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- David

A bit messy but what about a pressure washer?
other alternative would be to sandblast (but prob even more messy)

Lift them and turn them upside down?

I'm thinking a chemical method (a proprietary brick cleaner?) would be your best bet, but I'm not sure how you'd handle the logistics of that; puddles of nasty corrosive liquid all over the floor doesn't sound appealing!
Sandblasting would shift it I'm sure, but might damage the surface of the flagstones too?
David

Hi
A rotary powered wire brush (in drill etc) can take the concrete much thinner. Then brick acid can eat off what remains. BUT I dont know if the acid might affect the stone. It shouldnt, but check first.
And tc with brick acid.
Regards, NT

Try mechanical and they can then buff down any scratches. They look goood, so persevere!
Suzanne

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts.
I was hoping someone knew of a cheap powder that I would sprinkle over them one night and in the morning they would be concrete free, buffed and perfect.
But it looks like I'm going to have to work on them!