Concrete mix - volume question

Hi - I am going to be mixing a load of concrete (in a mixer I am hapy to say!) of 4 parts 20mm aggregate, 2 parts sand, 1 part cement.

I am getting a 1 cubic metre sack of 20mm aggregate delivered and wonder if anyone would care to suggest how many bags of sand and cement will be needed for the proportions above, please, assuming standard

25kg bags of cement and similar physically sized bags of sand as you would buy in Wickes etc - the =A31.00 type.

Many thanks,

Peter

Reply to
p_l_reed

First thing, the "Jumbo Bags" are normally 900-950 KG, and somewhat short of 1 Cubic Meter. My little blue book has stone chippings at

1760 KG per Metre Cubed.

Assume a 1:2:3 Mix

Then you need 600 KG of Sand and 300 KG of cement. I'd get a jumbo bag of sand at the same time.

Alternativly get a "concrete mix" aka "ballast", and mix at 5/6 to 1 cement. To help mixing, 2 rounded shovels = 1 bucket, 1 buckets = 1 bag of cement. I mix 1/2 a bag of cement at a time in my mixer, you can do a bag at a time but its no quicker in the long run.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

whoops 2 buckes = 1 bag cement

Reply to
Rick

Can't get 50kg bags. Haelth and safety

I was running at about 5 bags to a rough ton of sand for a 5:1 sand cement mix. So my guess is that a cubic metere is ariond 2 tinnes, so ten bags.s mire or less.

But don't panic. Cement firsts in the boot of the car if you run out, and it goes hard after a few weeks in the garage anyway, so buy it a little at a time.

My guess is you will need half a bag of cement per mixer load, 4 shovels of sand and fill it up with gravel...prolly 15-18 shovels.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher