Concrete mix suitable for continuous immersion in water

I am about to cast a hollow concrete plinth on which a fountain will sit. The outer mould will be a galvanised steel ring 10 inches high by 24 inches diameter the inner mould being a plastic bucket, the space within the plinth will house a pump to drive the fountain. . I don't intend to keep fish or plants in the pool so I'm not bothered about the toxicity of the water. The plinth will, when cured, be totally immersed in water, and I wondered if there was a special mix or additive I should use to protect it from long term immersion. What does the team think? Regards Don

Reply to
Donwill

The only two issues are porosity, which is solved by adding plenty of cement and possibly a little PVA or other special filler, and frost damage, which is solved by making it non porous :-)

Did you know that boats have been made out of concrete?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Concrete loves water, but not frost. Using 3:1 mix will give you minimum porosity and max frost resistance.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Look at the "skia" products which let you increase the % of cenent, and therfore the waterproofness.

Sika-1, lets you accheive a 1:1 mix for waterproofing walls.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

When I was younger in Southern NZ chap at the end of our road built a concrete yacht. Took him ages. Great fascination though when the crane arrived to lift it over his house and onto the truck.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Was he thought of as being a bit of a kiwi fruit? :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Back then they were still known as Chinese gooseberries, we had a vine against the back of the garage. IIRC rebranding started around then or just after.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Sometimes your jokes realy haka me off..............

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Manyt thanks for your replies.

Cheers Don