Concrete lintel decoration

There is an ugly concrete lintel on a barn at my place - see at:

I'm trying to think of a way to pretty it up a little but can only think to paint it. Where it is, it really gets the brunt of the weather. Would I need special paints/ undercoats for concrete for a long lasting finish? If anyone has a better idea than painting, I'd be delighted to hear it

Reply to
lemmy

hat a lovely place you have there..Y'know thats where I would get creative, and cement oyster shlels or wine bottles over it..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is a lovely place - and you've given me food for thought there!

Reply to
lemmy

What about facing it with hardwood planking so it looks like a wooden beam ?

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

or if you wanted it white, lime render it. Lime render also comes in light pink, using red sand, and you can add black speckles, or any other colour stone bits. Then theres the old black mortar...

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You could render it or buy a slice of oak or something to cover it. You aught to get a colour similar to the stonework if you render it and get the oak or whatever treated if you clad it.

It looks to be 16 or 17 feet long, so finding a single length of slab, whatever the material, might be difficult. Of course, living in the country you might be able to find a timber mill more easily than most.

Why was such a crappy pour set up in the first place? It wouldn't have taken much to make it look a little more presentable, would it?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Make it look like a wooden beam: render it and put lines in it with a comb, you'll need to add knots too and make the corners more rounded, when it's finished paint it dark brown/black...you may need to set up something to work to at each edge, to prevent mortar getting on the stonework, 2X2 battens or similar....I've seen people do this and also put round pegs at various places, or fake cut outs...visit any pub that is over 200 years old and you'll see what I mean

Who poured it BTW? - it's an abortion

Reply to
Phil L

Don't know. Somewhere along the line someone did it and did a runner I'd imagine. But I've got plenty of ideas to work on now - thanks everyone!

Reply to
lemmy