concrete fireplace mantel

hi,

I am forming up a large slab of concrete which will be used as a mantle. I will then cement sandstone as the finished product. I wanted to find out whether there is any additive that I can add to the concrete so that it is not affected by the heat. I want to avoid cracking !

thanks !

Reply to
avp27

You can use fired aggregate.

Reply to
visionset

"avp27" wrote

Sounds dodgy to me! With all that heat I would expect it to go with a bang. Any rebar going in there?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Yep. 13mm rebar. Its a bit over the top but its all I had in the shed... Still sounds dodgy ?

Reply to
avp27