Concrete entrance hall/downstairs loo.

I'm renewing the floor covering of the entrance hall/downstairs loo to my 1960s home. It is outside the house under a flat roof which it shares with the front bit of the integral garage Previously it was carpet on top of parquet on top of marley tiles. The marley tiles are loose and seem to have been originally stick down with a tar-like substance. I suspect the floor is a little damp which has lifted the tiles, but there is no sign of damp on the garage floor which is at a slightly lower level. It is also cracked and raised up slightly where the floor meets the house.

I haven't got much time so intend to bolster out any loose material and level the floor. I have a small bag of ready mixed concrete for this purpose. I have some left over ceramic tiles which I'd like to lay on top. If I suspect the floor is slightly damp, what adhesive should I use? Does the floor really need replacing? If so will my repair last a little while until I can undertake this rather more expensive job?

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

If you use my all time favourite ARDEX rapid set floor tile adhesive, mixed stiff, you can lay tiles on beds of up to 2"..in emergencies!

Which obviates the need for any concrete. If the loose stuff is really deep, simply remove any large chunks - or in fact slosh thinned PVA around with gay abandon to bind it all together, use some of the tile cement to level off, or indeed just lay straight on: you SHOULD PVA an unsealed floor first, anyway, to reduce water absorption. Ardex rapid set goes rubbery in about 45 minutes and is walkable over or kneelable on, in 3-4 hours. Overnight rock hard.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cool, which one?

Geoff Berrow

Looked in the local shed for some of this but they only had Unibond stuff and it was over 22 quid for a little bag.

I knew a builder who used to make his own, anyone got a recipe?

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

Try looking in Yellow Pages for a local flooring contractor - they might well be happy to sell it to you.

- Steve Lowe

- E-Mail : snipped-for-privacy@usa.net

- Before Replying Remove .NO.SPAM

- UK Resident although my e-mail address is usa.net

Reply to
Steve Lowe