concrete delivery

I need just under 1 cube concrete for a floor slab. Last time I used mixamate, who also barrowed, but they will charge me minimum of 3 cubes, so that is out. I'm not prepared to mix it myself, and was hoping not to barrow it myself. But, anyone know the weight of 1 cube of wet concrete, and how may barrows its likely to take ? Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Sounds like a couple of ton bags of ballast and several bags of cement?

My recommendation: hire a labourer to do the mixing and barrowing. This is well within the capabilities of most labourers, provided you keep an eye on the wetness of the mix and work out exactly how many shovels of ballast to concrete first (he will do exactly what you ask of him). Expected cost - about 80 cash +/- for a day plus mixer hire. Saturdays are popular for these guys as it's extra cash even if they are otherwise engaged.

If you hire him for the day, have a list of low supervision jobs ready, like digging the garden or something because he will (assuming he's a good one) work faster than you think :) That should leave you comfortably able to wibble around getting the slab tamped and levelled the way you want.

And if you get stuck and need an extra pair of hands to hold the something, he's there.

Reply to
Tim Watts

^^^^ cement

Reply to
Tim Watts

I did this myself a few weeks ago, 1 cubic metre from mix truck on roadway to foundation trench in back garden, about 20 metres distance each way.

1 barrow, 1 monkey (me). It took about 45 minutes, but I had to push myself to do that (running back with the empty barrow etc.).

The driver was a very nice guy, and evidently not in a hurry, but not all drivers may be happy to wait. Some will drop the mix into a large plastic sheet/bag for you. It can then be barrowed in from there, but of course it has to be shoveled up into the barrow, whereas loading the barrow directly from the chute of the truck is much easier.

Weight: Depends on the exact mix, but the ofter quoted figure is 1 cubic metre of concrete is about 2400Kg.

As regards barrow loads, 1 cubic metre =3D 1000 litres.

Barrows generally have a nominal capacity of 60-100 litres - but that's full to the brim, which you obviously can't do with concrete. If you're carrying 40 lites of concrete per load, 1000/40 =3D 25 loads.

hth,

bookieb.

Reply to
bookieb

With the usual limestone or gravel aggregate, 1 m3 of concrete weighs

2.4 tonnes or 2400 kg.
Reply to
Bruce

about 20 - 25 depending on the size of the barrow.

one cube is going to be costly no matter where you get it from as there's a minimum charge....one cube or less and I usually mix it myself and pour straight into the hole

Reply to
Phil L

I reckon 6 big barrows per tonne, and about 4-5 tonnes of concrete per cube. Which comes to the same.

If you are reasonably fit, its nothing.

I'd personally mix that lot myself, with a single helper. That way it all gets done in a day.

But if the lorry can have access, its a lot easier!

The work is lifting it all into the mixer, or the barrow.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

when its dry, possibly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, I've found the mix-on-site company I think I used last time (Master Concrete). They stop when you say stop ! Price 131.60 for 1 cube (the minimum price) plus 10 quid extra to have it barrowed in by some dude with a good strong back ! Seems worth it to me. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

A very common error.

I grind my teeth whenever I read of people "mixing cement".

You buy cement, it comes in bags. You mix concrete. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

No, when it is wet.

Reply to
Bruce

At that price, it's a no-brainer. Go for it!

Reply to
Bruce

limestone in concrete?? go on tell him ;>)......or are you learning now?

2300kgs per cube BTW....

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

eh? I believe tim was correcting his slight mixup "ballast to concrete" to the correct "ballast to cement"...

You been out in the sun? still got sunglasses on?

JimK

Reply to
JimK

That's not a bad price at all for a single cube...it's not worth trying to mix it yourself for that - the ballast and cement would probably be about £75, then mixer hire and a day mixing etc

Reply to
Phil L

Oh, the reason I say that, is that I laid a 3m2 floor slab last year. The mix looked fine going in (wasn't dry, but wasn't running with water either - it's what I'd normally throw down a hole in the ground for making bases or paths outside.

By the time I was half way through tamping it onto a DPM, there was excess water forming on the surface as it couldn't drain through the DPM like it would if on hardcore. It set OK eventually, but the surface was powdery for weeks - I poured on some dilute PVA in the end...

Just something to watch for IME - wants to be slightly drier than you

*might* think.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Hmm - no contest then :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

4-5 tonnes per cube sounds way over... IME 2.4 - 2.6 is much closer.
Reply to
John Rumm