Concrete advice

I've got an interesting little job coming up which will involve a bit of cement/concrete work. No problem working with the materials but I thought I'd ask for expert opinions on which mix to use etc.
Issue is that some laminate flooring is to be laid in a hallway, which has a concrete floor.
Just inside the front door is a small well which is to be filled - the well used to hold a sunken doormat. The well is about 1in deep, 18in by 15in approx.
Anyone got a recommendation for what sort of mix I should go for? It looks like a Polyfilla-on-steroids job :)
PoP

Sounds like a sand and cement screed to me, rather than concete.

It might also be worth doing the entire floor in self levelling compound, unless the extra height would be problematic. (It's easier if you're doing the entire ground floor, as every room is similarly affected).
Laminate hates uneven floors. Whether it is worth doing would depend on how even the floor is to begin with. If it's good, don't bother.
Christian.

Starting with the basics - why remove the mat well at all? It is a very useful feature that may well save your nice new shiney laminate from damage! - Why not incorporate a mat well into your laminate flooring - the matting is available as a cut to size item.
If you must remove it I'd just use a 5:1 sharp sand and portland cement mix assuming that the base of the well is sound. Put a dash of pva in the gauging water to get a good bond to the well.
Andrew Mawson
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 16:42:58 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"

Not an option. Must be removed.

Sounds good!
Thanks for the help all!
PoP

Give the hole a coat of pva beforehand then a mix as suggested of sand and ordinary cement will do the job a treat.
Mark S.

This PVA is real snake oil isn't it? In the most positive sense of the word! ;)
Thanks all!
PoP

Yes I think so !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I buy it by the 1 gallon bottle from a local wood yard - it really helps in all sorts of situations:
(Example - condensation everlastingly dripping off a bathroom skylight and stripping the wallpaper below - couldn't solve the condensation but used weak pva solution for the paper as a temporary expedient - that was two years ago and the paper is still on! )
Andrew Mawson

When in doubt get the pva out! ;-)
Mark S.