concrete...

I was told not to buy sand that has organic matter in it but does it really matter what type of sand I use ?

have just had general builders sand and 20mm chippings (1 ton bag of each) delivered as they didn't sell ballast and are the only local firm who can/will deliver up our lane.

will this be good enough for a path and steps ( 7 at 150mm rise 300mm tread) in the garden ?

thanks Les

Reply to
in2minds

Les,

The sand should be 'sharp sand' - builders sand implies soft sand - to make a decent concrete. Soft sand will work but won't be anything like as durable.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Make it 6 to 1 instead of 7 or 8 and you will never know the difference. In fact if it only for use by one or two people each day 8 to one will be fine. 4:4:1.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Disagree. I say it must be sharp sand too. Crete made with building sand will simply have no strength and will crumble.

Reply to
PJ

Last lot of 8:1 I saw could be dug out with fingernails. It costs very little extra to use a decent mix, say 4:1.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Please don't attribute the above post to me - mine was above saying he should use sharp sand !

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson