Concealed insulating window shutters.

I'm in the middle of a largish project - insulating my house - it's currently got 50cm stone walls, and a total of about 13 windows, with no insulation between the stone, and the plasterboard. This is bad.

So, I'm putting in 10cm of rockwool, and kingspan round the windows - as I only need to cut it in 5cm to get equivalent insulation.

I recently wondered about something that would be almost free at this stage. ( - well, maybe 80 quid for the kingspan)

Shutters, concealed against the inside of the stone wall, that slide out along the front of the windowsill, and completely close off the window opening.

Construction would be something like a block of 5cm kingspan, the size of the window opening, with 4mm ply all round it.

outside #########-------############### #######K| |K############# #######K| |K############# #######K| |K############# (# = rock, R = rockwool, K = kingspan, #######K| |K############# S = shutter - halfway slid in) RRRRRRRK| |SSSSSSSS| RRRRR RRRRRRRK| |KKKKKKKRRRRRRR ________| |_____________

Not to scale - for most of the windows, the opening is maybe a meter by

60cm.

I could of course do the trivial solution - which would be drawer slides across the windowsill, and the top.

Does a neater way occur to anyone?

Of course, this would need reasonablish ventilation to outside, per alcove, and tight fitting of the shutter, to avoid condensation on the window. (and vapour barriers as normal of course)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I thought windows were there to allow light in?

Reply to
Phil L

Well - yes. These would of course only be closed at night, or when I have vampires visiting.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

More of an arrow slit than window:-)

We stayed in a stone built cottage on Guernsey, once, which had rather nice internal bi-folding wooden shutters rather than curtains or blinds.

I don't know how much insulation the timber would contribute but the layer of trapped air must be worth something.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Bifold shutters that hinge into recesses in the reveal sides such they are flush when open is the normal way. I suspect that with the big gap there would be heat loss due to convection in the space allowing transport of heat from the "warm" shutter to the "cold" window.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sticking feathers in al the woodworm holes would have solved this.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sticking feathers in al the woodworm holes would have solved this. Or would if there had been any heat to lose.

NT

Reply to
meow2222