Concealed door closers again

Just moved in and had to remove a door fitted with a concealed closer (a Perkins & Powell 'Perko') to get furniture into a room, so I took the closer out at the same time.

Now the door has been re-hung, how the hell do I put the closer back again?

Reply to
Peter Twydell

In message , Peter Twydell writes

Is it one of those with a short length of chain?

If so the trick is to fix it into the door and then pull the frame fixing end out as far as possible and then lock the chain in position so that it cannot retract back into the door. When I fitted some a while back they came with a metal clip with a slot in it for doing this but I'm sure you will be able to DIY a solution. Maybe just get a second person to hold it firmly with a long nose pair of pliers?

http://213.232.95.122/samnewsite/R1R2.HTMhttp://213.232.95.122/samnewsite/R85.htm shows the clip

Good luck.

Reply to
Bill

If its one of those chain types, between door edge and jamb, then you should have fitted a tubular keeper type thing on the chain at full stretch of the chain.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Bill writes

Thanks, Bill, that's just what I needed. I'm sure I've got something like that clip somewhere, probably in one of the several unpacked boxes in the garage. First the round tuit, then the clip!

Reply to
Peter Twydell

If I'd known I had to do that, then I wouldn't be asking the question! Thanks for the advice anyway.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Peter Twydell explained :

Sorry, I meant to add....

Probably the easiest way would be to find something suitable of the correct length and hold the fixed end in a vise whilst you pull out the other end against the spring.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Use a Mole wrench to lock it

Reply to
DJC

The one I did recently had such a strong spring that there was no way you could "just pull the chain out" with a mole grip etc. What I had to do was slacken off the tension adjusting nut - yes, there is one - then jam the chain by inserting a small instrument screwdriver through a link, then re-tension with the nut. You then reassemble it to the door and frame before taking out the jamming pin. Actually I think the nut was fixed in the barrel and you had to rotate the chain to tighten it.

You might need to experiment to get the right tension.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to