Computer upgrade - Static (OT maybe)

The cost is in time and wasted effort chasing wierd and wonderful faults, not the cost of the component.

Reply to
tinnews

It's (supposedly) in conductive packaging which you'll bring to the same voltage as 'you' by touching the outside. Even if you don't the electical 'mass' of the chip is relatively small so the charge that will flow to/from it when you touch it is much less likely to damage it than if (for example) you discharge yourself through it to the PC chassis when you plug it in before you've connected yourself to the PC by other means (i.e. wrist wire or touching the case).

Reply to
tinnews

Same here. My computers stopped being unreliable when I stopped fiddling around with the OS settings ( especially W9x )!

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

The last one I had that was unreliable was entirely my fault and nothing to do with static. It was built with a verowire pen and used

16kx1 DRAMs with some very dodgy timing circuits.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

They were old hat by then (1988)!

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The wrist strap would connect to the PC chassis, the only difference between that and you holding the chassis with the other hand is, if it did happen to be live you would be protected. Common sense prevails.

Reply to
Broadback

That'll do nicely.

Just don't make me watch :)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Done it successfully! Kept it plugged in (but turned off at socket) Kept in contact with chassis.

Reply to
John