Computer Trolley

I want a wheeled trolley for my laptop that I can manoeuvre around my lounge and put my feet up under it on a footstool. I've decided that it'll need to be a three-wheeler like this:

'll probably end up making it, since I've not found anything suitable with a web-search. But has anybody seen something like this for sale?

Reply to
Dave Farrance

if you google for overbed tables you may find what you want. Disabled assistance centres seem to have them.

Examples here (first UK site I found, so may be cheaper elsewhere)

OG

or search for overbed trolley

Reply to
OG

I recall my grandparents having one years ago, although it can't have been particularly old as the top was plastic and the frame was probably 1" square tubing. The top folded up vertical to save space, and it would also fold up vertical just when dinner had been served on it, dumping it on your lap and the floor;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm sure I have in the past. They're the sort of thing sold for invalids to eat meals in bed, or for couch potatoes to eat from while watching the telly. I suspect you need to google outside of anything to do with computers and think 'food' instead!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yup. Argos sell it.

Overbed Table.

865/0500
  • £34.29

Details

  • Height and angle adjustable table with 2 castors.
  • Steel frame.
  • Brown colour.
  • Maximum angle 45 degree tilt.
  • Height adjusts from 56-84cm.
  • Size (H)56-84, (W)53, (D)40cm.
  • Folded size (H)56, (W)42, (D)8cm.

A Review posted there ...

"The table was quite difficult to assemble and it's worth noting that the design of it means that it is only suitable for use under a divan type bed or a couch/chair that has no more than a 2 inch gap from the bottom of the chair to the floor.

As the table is exempt from the 16 day money back guarentee, we had to do some of our own DIY on it before it could actually be used which was disappointing."

Reply to
Adrian C

They also tend to acquire a slope downward away from the frame. This might be okay if you don't mind reading slopey and slightly bouncy text on a laptop screen.

One of those trays-with-a-beanbag-underneath might be better for lap-top laptop use.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Cicero

Thanks. The word "overbed" wasn't intuitively obvious to me, but with that, I was able to locate a suitable product.

Reply to
Dave Farrance

Dave Farrance laid this down on his screen :

You can buy ready made tables of that design, designed to be used for people who are bed ridden. I don't know the correct name for them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Partner needed something like that - the true overbed ones being too high for use when sitting/laying on the sofa.

She tried one from Ikea.

Within its limits, it is OK - and has some adjustment so that the top can be made level. Might not play nicely with a footstool - in fact almost certainly won't. In low numbers, possibly end of line - check stock levels.

Reply to
Rod

In message , Dave Farrance writes

Yeah, I've got one of those - which I inherited to be used for the same reason

Hospital bed table ...

ooh lookie - there's one on ebay

geoff

Thanks to everybody that replied in this thread. An "overbed table" proved to be ideal as a minimal computer table. Here it is with a beanbag underneath it to put my feet up.

Dave Farrance