Computer fan - Dell

I need to replace this fan

nearly eight years of almost continuous use the bearings are shot and it's making quite unpleasant noises :~)

It's the main processor fan in a Dell Dimension PC. Note the bead thermistor (to left of motor housing in the pic) which AFAIK makes it a bit non-standard, as PC fans go. Its size is standard though - 92x92x32 mm. Connection is 3-wire, with a 3-pin Molex-type connector, probably just motor, thermistor and common/gnd. There's a bit of analogue circuitry on the motherboard that looks as if it does the speed control.

Anyway the local computer emporium couldn't help. Googling the model no. finds someone selling what looks to be the exact same part on ebay USA for around 15 quid, plus carriage.

Before I order from across the pond, does anyone know of a UK source of a similar/compatible item?

Reply to
Andy Wade

Most are three wire, and the third is a pulse from a tacho... not sure about yours. A quick probe with a scope will no doubt tell you.

(There is also a Dell proprietary fan connector out there (no surprises there!), although its visually slightly different from the normal molex connectors).

Might be worth giving the folks at quiet PC a call, they do a fairly impressive range of things for cooling machines:

John Rumm

Search eBay for 90mm fan. There are dozens. Provided they have three wires, they'll do.

Meanwhile, prise off the label and add a drop of light oil to get you through the next few days.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I rather suspect that the 3rd wire is a direct connection to the thermistor, and the speed is adjusted to get a constant outlet air temperature. I doubt there's a thermistor and a tacho.

Thanks John, e-mail enquiry sent.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Doing a google with 3612KL-04W-B66

a possible DELL PN of 929FF

Hitting eBay with that, you'll find a new one available for £9, post free.

Reply to
Adrian C

Having been in the same situation a while back I found the Dell motherboard was very fussy about what it would boot with, using a generic fan the PC wouldn't boot beyond BIOS. Eventually sourced a real Dell replacement and it booted fine, so I would go for an exact replacement.

Reply to
airsmoothed

Thanks, that's one I missed. To start with I thought it had modified fixing details (no holes visible) but on closer examination it looks as if it includes the outer moulding that clips directly into the case. Anyway, at that price it's worth the risk. Order placed.

Thanks to everyone else who replied.

Reply to
Andy Wade